SSD compatibility Veriton L480G

Benwifi
Benwifi Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hi to all of you!
I got a Veriton L480G and I want to install a SSD. The SSD I bought has the following specs:  500GB 2.5-inch internal SSD • SATA 6.0Gb/s • 560 MB/s Read, 510 MB/s Write (made by Crucial) On their site, Crucial tells me they have no upgrade compatibility for Veriton L480G. So two questions:
1. Will that SSD work ok if I install it anymay?
2. If truly incompatible, what is then the proper 5ooGo SSD for Veriton L480G?!!!

Many thanks for your help to all community.

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @Benwifi,
    I can see your PC uses SATA2 standard and most 2.5" SSDs are using SATA3 standard, so it is basically incompatible. Since you "bought" the SSD already, doesn't hurt to try, and I think SATA3 standard is backward compatible with SATA2. Even the 2.5" SSD will work, it cannot achieve the 560 MB/s read and 510 MB/s write. You can expect half the speed only.
    Don't know your PC has extra room for an additional 2.5" SSD, if so that will be easy, just put it in and format the SSD to NTFS standard (if use as data drive). 
    I'll suggest you to Create an image file and Create a repair disc first before doing something else if want to use it as boot drive.
    Since your PC is like a decade old, it will be a good idea to replace it with current generation PC. 
    Current fastest storage devices uses PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD with the reading speed in the 5000 MB/s range in comparison with 280 MB/s read SATA2 standard. You can see how many times difference are there.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @Benwifi,
    I can see your PC uses SATA2 standard and most 2.5" SSDs are using SATA3 standard, so it is basically incompatible. Since you "bought" the SSD already, doesn't hurt to try, and I think SATA3 standard is backward compatible with SATA2. Even the 2.5" SSD will work, it cannot achieve the 560 MB/s read and 510 MB/s write. You can expect half the speed only.
    Don't know your PC has extra room for an additional 2.5" SSD, if so that will be easy, just put it in and format the SSD to NTFS standard (if use as data drive). 
    I'll suggest you to Create an image file and Create a repair disc first before doing something else if want to use it as boot drive.
    Since your PC is like a decade old, it will be a good idea to replace it with current generation PC. 
    Current fastest storage devices uses PCIe 4.0 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD with the reading speed in the 5000 MB/s range in comparison with 280 MB/s read SATA2 standard. You can see how many times difference are there.