Aspire R3 -471T-76BM how to separate screen and bezel?

Options
bdubya
bdubya Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited January 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Trying to install a new LCD/touchscreen on an Aspire R3-471T-76BM. The bezel fits onto the screen from the rear (i.e. screen drops in from the front).  I'm assuming they're held together by an adhesive.  Has anybody done this operation on this or a similar model?  I assume I need to heat the bezel up enough to soften the adhesive - will a hair dryer work, or do I need to get the heat gun out and risk melting the bezel?  If anybody has any tips, please help me out.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,589 Trailblazer
    Options
    Where in the flowchart process are you? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bdubya

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Where in the flowchart process are you? Jack E/NJ

Nowhere - I don't have that flowchart (curious where you found it, though, since it might provide a clue to relevant info for me). There are no screws involved at all on my model; the front bezel snaps onto/off of the upper case and comes right off the hinges (with the display attached), then you just disconnect three cable connections and it's free of the machine, but with the bezel and screen stuck firmly together. That's where I am right now - bezel (with camera removed) and screen fully detached and ready to separate

I figure I'll just take a heat gun to it on low setting and be very, very patient.  Will post results.
  • bdubya

Tinkerer

edited September 2020
    Options
    Results: I spent about 45 minutes gradually heating things up (from the glass side) and separating the screen from the bezel. Still wound up distorting the bezel in a couple of spots so it's got a nice gentle wave to it here and there, which will probably make it impossible to get a nice clean repair now.  In retrospect, I probably should have just broken the glass and then spent the same amount of time picking shards off of the double-sided tape (which appears to be about a half-millimeter thick, just for reference).  

Looks like it's time to go bezel shopping...JackE or anybody else, do you have a clue where I might find one, or at least get the part number?

• JackE
    Options
    The bezel removal on this model is quite involved.  The first step is removing 16 screws from the base cover and prying it apart. Then removing the battery pack. Then the wifi card. Then removing the LCD module which includes the bezel. Screws are involved in most of the preceding removals. That's why I asked where you are in the module disassembly process. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• jaym
    jaym Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Jack E/NJ
    There are NO screws attaching the front bezel on a R3-471T SERIES
    the front bezel clicks onto the back of the top cover... So where can
    a new bezel be purchased, or how do you remove the old bezel so
    that IT CAN BE REUSED... :) 
  • JackE
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Go to this youtube link for getting the bezel & screen off. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8SgOkUkna0
    The bezel is re-usable even if you crack it since it's not a structural screen support but a cosmetic screen-edge cover.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ