How much should I undervolt an AN515-52?

Options
Pradeep42
Pradeep42 Member Posts: 104 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
If someone has already undervolted their laptop, please tell at what exact point should I set to undervolt the CPU? I want to use Intel XTU
User of an AN515-52.

Best Answer

• Hahaha
    Hahaha Member Posts: 243 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited September 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    If you want assurance, then it's better to do a stress test with different voltages before applying them. I am not familiar with stress testing but its instructions are easily available on the web. The stable limit varies from model to model.

If you just go by estimated values, you'll have trouble later. For example my 515-51 used to work alright most of the time on -128, a value I set without testing. But a few select games would regularly crash. I figured out that the undervolting could be the issue and changed it to -124. It did not crash anymore. My point is that different applications can have different needs and impact on the PC. You may not know it till you use such a one. Which is why stress test is recommended.

Answers

• Achilles50WX
    Achilles50WX Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    -165 on mine, everything is going okay 
    undervolted via throttlestop
  • Pradeep42
    Pradeep42 Member Posts: 104 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    -165 on mine, everything is going okay 
    undervolted via throttlestop
    Do you have AN515-52 too?
    User of an AN515-52.
  • Hahaha
    Hahaha Member Posts: 243 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited September 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    If you want assurance, then it's better to do a stress test with different voltages before applying them. I am not familiar with stress testing but its instructions are easily available on the web. The stable limit varies from model to model.

If you just go by estimated values, you'll have trouble later. For example my 515-51 used to work alright most of the time on -128, a value I set without testing. But a few select games would regularly crash. I figured out that the undervolting could be the issue and changed it to -124. It did not crash anymore. My point is that different applications can have different needs and impact on the PC. You may not know it till you use such a one. Which is why stress test is recommended.