Nitro 5 AN517-51- Repasting, thermal pads and putty

AccurseD
AccurseD Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello All,
I repasted my laptop's CPU/GPU as they were heating over 95C while gaming. Since it was my first time I managed to screw it up. Now looking for help...

I opened the laptop and unplugged the battery and removed the cooling solution and cleaned everything there. On the GPU and CPU used Thermal Grizzly and the pink paste, I replaced with Arctic MX4. Once I closed and put everything back together switched it on I was greeted by BSOD -'video scheduler internal error'.
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NH.Q9BEK.004
Automatically restarted and signed in to Win10. Tried to play a game to see if there is an improvement and was disappointed as I was getting colorful artifacts. Reinstalled the drivers and now the dGPU is no longer detected. The NVIDIA control panel doesn't open either.

In Bios, I see Intel iGPU. In management, I see this (Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43))

I have ordered a new paste and thermal pads(1mm) from Thermal Grizzly and will try to re-clean everything and repaste. Have I chosen the correct thickness? 

Do you think I have damaged the GPU? Please advise if I can do something differently.

Many thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• AccurseD

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    All sorted after repasting. 
  • HugoR
    HugoR Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter
    How you do it? Did you just use the thermal pad and is working now? I want to purchase thermal pads but I don't know what type or brand
  • AccurseD

Tinkerer

Thermal Grizzly Thermal Pad Minus Pad 8 120 X 20 X 1  (Kit of 2) and Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal 12.5W/M, K 5.5g heat sink compound, heat sink thermal compounds (5.5g-250 350°C). Temp idle / while gaming still goes to 90-94C (System is Undervolted and with cooling pad). The keyboard is really hot while gaming, burning my fingers!