Getting verly low FPS & Input Delay on Nitro 5 an515-42 after installing SSD.

Vaibhav25
Vaibhav25 Member Posts: 26 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello. I have a nitro 5 an515-42 laptop. I recently installed a Samsung SSD on it & did a fresh windows installation. Although the laptop's loading times has significantly reduced, the same cannot be said about gaming performance. I am getting about 25-30 FPS on games nearly a decade old. I don't what is causing the problem, the SSD or something else. Please help. What to do ?
AMD Adrenaline software is updated to its latest version. The advanced power option in power plan is also set to maximize performance while plugged in. I have also selected the particular games to use dedicated graphics card in Windows Graphics settings. Still, nothing has worked.

Best Answer

• TanmayGangwar
    TanmayGangwar Member Posts: 80 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    well the last thing i can suggest is to call up ACER for service if you are under warranty, i think you might have damaged or made some hardware loosed while upgrading SSD but i dont know for sure but this is the best i can help you. Maybe try this guide by a well known helper. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/612495/windows-10-optimization-guide-for-gaming

best of luck! if anything else comes do let me know but i suggest book service/repair request if you are under warranty.

Namaste,
    LIFE IS SHORT MAKE EVERYDAY COUNT 
    Always ready to help...
    IF i helped please click yes

Answers

• TanmayGangwar
    edited September 2020
    @Vaibhav25
    As per i know SSD will only increase windows boot time, response time and games loading time, SSD won't affect the FPS of games instead will help in faster loading of textures and overall fast game loading but not increase FPS, it will solve/reduce problems like slutter, basically it will improve your load times in games.

As per the low FPS in games on decade old games i suggest you to check your temps maybe your laptop is overheating which is limiting the performance of CPU and GPU in that case you will need a re-paste and fan cleaning, and i hope you play while being plugged in, as i have the same exact model as yours and for me Rx560 x does not work at full capacity while the charger is not connected. See if anything helps. if not then we will find another way.
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • Vaibhav25
    @Vaibhav25
    As per i know SSD will only increase windows boot time, response time and games loading time, SSD won't affect the FPS of games instead will help in faster loading of textures and overall fast game loading but not increase FPS, it will solve/reduce problems like slutter, basically it will improve your load times in games.

As per the low FPS in games on decade old games i suggest you to check your temps maybe your laptop is overheating which is limiting the performance of CPU and GPU in that case you will need a re-paste and fan cleaning, and i hope you play while being plugged in, as i have the same exact model as yours and for me Rx560 x does not work at full capacity while the charger is not connected. See if anything helps. if not then we will find another way.

I know SSD does not increase FPS, my point was before installing SSD the PC was running perfectly fine while Gaming. And yes I play games while plugged in & put the fans on maximum. So the temps are in check too. Still, the same story.
  • TanmayGangwar
    so before the SSD upgrade games were running fine is that want you to say? did you yourself upgraded SSD ? u add the SSD in M.2 slot that is inside the laptop (so that now you have HDD + SSD config) or replaced your HDD with a SSD ?
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • Vaibhav25
    so before the SSD upgrade games were running fine is that want you to say? did you yourself upgraded SSD ? u add the SSD in M.2 slot that is inside the laptop (so that now you have HDD + SSD config) or replaced your HDD with a SSD ?

Yes, Games were running fine before the SSD upgrade. Yes, I myself added the SSD in M.2 slot. And now I have HDD + SSD configuration.
  • TanmayGangwar
    Please post your specs here and i hope when you added it yourself you did not damaged the motherboard i am not professional in the motherboard stuff, so maybe try reinstalling the windows ?
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • Vaibhav25
    Please post your specs here and i hope when you added it yourself you did not damaged the motherboard i am not professional in the motherboard stuff, so maybe try reinstalling the windows ?

So I reinstalled the Windows & installed all the latest graphic drivers & softwares. Then I played Far Cry 3 on it & the average FPS which I was getting was 10.5.
    One more thing, the Nitro Sense app was continually showing that my Discrete GPU is idle.
    What does that mean ? And what to do now ?
  • TanmayGangwar
    edited September 2020
    alright so now get the latest drivers (latest windows update, VGA update, BIOS update, and all other drivers) and the follow the guide below.
    if nitrosense is showing Discrete GPU idle then that means the games are using vega 8 to play games not Rx560x so follow the guide below to fix it also what does task manager shows ? does task manager too shows Rx560 x as Idle or low usage

--------------------------------------------------------------THIS GUIDE IS BY Andylb I DONT TAKE CREDIT FOR IT----------------------------------------------------------

Most of the problems I have encountered answering questions similar to yours are that users do not have the GPU set up correctly in the Control Center and are gaming on their Dedicated Vega 8 GPU which gives poor performance and is not designed for gaming. I have your exact model and my gaming experience using the AMD 2020 Control Center is good, Follow these instructions

First make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into the main AC power while gaming. Make sure "High Performance when on AC", is selected in your Windows Power Plan and in Nitrosense. If you fail to do this your CPU will run at around 50% of capacity and you will experience poor game performance

Open the New AMD 2020 Control Center and click the GAMING tab then click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select ADD A GAME, navigate to your games .exe file and double click it to add it, or you can select SCAN FOR GAMES and let the Control Center search your harddrive for games to add. After successfully adding the game click on the game and you will be taken to another window and click the LAUNCH GAME tab.
    Only in this way will your games use the Discrete Rx560x GPU, NEVER launch your game through a desktop shortcut or any other way, do it in the manner I have described.

Please remember that online gaming may experience low fps and stutter due to the games servers and bottlenecking and that has nothing to do with your GPU.

PLEASE CLICK YES IF I HAVE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, THANKYOU

if still nothing works do let me know
    Namaste,
    Always ready to help...
  • Vaibhav25
    alright so now get the latest drivers (latest windows update, VGA update, BIOS update, and all other drivers) and the follow the guide below.
    if nitrosense is showing Discrete GPU idle then that means the games are using vega 8 to play games not Rx560x so follow the guide below to fix it also what does task manager shows ? does task manager too shows Rx560 x as Idle or low usage

--------------------------------------------------------------THIS GUIDE IS BY Andylb I DONT TAKE CREDIT FOR IT----------------------------------------------------------

Most of the problems I have encountered answering questions similar to yours are that users do not have the GPU set up correctly in the Control Center and are gaming on their Dedicated Vega 8 GPU which gives poor performance and is not designed for gaming. I have your exact model and my gaming experience using the AMD 2020 Control Center is good, Follow these instructions

First make sure you game with your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and KEEP plugged into the main AC power while gaming. Make sure "High Performance when on AC", is selected in your Windows Power Plan and in Nitrosense. If you fail to do this your CPU will run at around 50% of capacity and you will experience poor game performance

Open the New AMD 2020 Control Center and click the GAMING tab then click the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner and select ADD A GAME, navigate to your games .exe file and double click it to add it, or you can select SCAN FOR GAMES and let the Control Center search your harddrive for games to add. After successfully adding the game click on the game and you will be taken to another window and click the LAUNCH GAME tab.
    Only in this way will your games use the Discrete Rx560x GPU, NEVER launch your game through a desktop shortcut or any other way, do it in the manner I have described.

Please remember that online gaming may experience low fps and stutter due to the games servers and bottlenecking and that has nothing to do with your GPU.

PLEASE CLICK YES IF I HAVE ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION, THANKYOU

if still nothing works do let me know

Tried Everything. Nothing worked. Although, the discrete GPU was working this time as the temperature of GPU shot up & AMD Control Center was also showing activity in the Performance tab. But the gaming performance got worse. The average FPS dropped down from 10.5 to 2.9 .
  • TanmayGangwar
    Answer ✓
    well the last thing i can suggest is to call up ACER for service if you are under warranty, i think you might have damaged or made some hardware loosed while upgrading SSD but i dont know for sure but this is the best i can help you. Maybe try this guide by a well known helper. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/612495/windows-10-optimization-guide-for-gaming

best of luck! if anything else comes do let me know but i suggest book service/repair request if you are under warranty.

Namaste,
    Always ready to help...