it won't successfully complete any task that involves turning of the display

Options
Sam31
Sam31 Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have an Aspire E5-574G, it runs windows 10 and has both an Intel HD 520 Graphics and another dedicated GPU (Nvidia GeForce 920M). What I have noticed is that if I disable the intel graphics and use the dedicated GPU, I am able to complete all tasks that involve turning of the display but I am unable to sleep or change the brightness as they are handled by the intel graphics card which I am unable to use cause it won't allow me to turn of the display, shutdown, hibernate or sleep the computer
      -things I have tried
updating the Nvidia GPU
Updating the intel GPU
Using the factory GPU drivers
Uninstalling the devices with there drivers and installing both that factory and the most up-to-date drivers from both intel and Nvidia
Using BIOS version 1.18 and 1.08
Downloading all the driver on the factory website (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6306?b=1) and installing them
That is all I have tried...Thank you in advance for the support I will hopefully get🤞

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    >>>FN+F6 only turns down the brightness to a very low state which won't save power as much as when the display is actually fully off>>>

Where did you get this information? The backlight shuts off completely with FN+F6.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    If you want a task to continue but with the display turned off, try pressing FN+F6 or FN+F5 toggle key combination. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sam31
    Options
    yes I already know about that but I am unable to sleep, hibernate or shutdown the PC with the intel 520 Graphics enabled and also FN+F6 only turns down the brightness to a very low state which won't save power as much as when the display is actually fully off...thank you for the quick answer
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    >>>FN+F6 only turns down the brightness to a very low state which won't save power as much as when the display is actually fully off>>>

Where did you get this information? The backlight shuts off completely with FN+F6.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Sam31
    edited September 2020
    Options
    If your laptop has that same feature, try pressing the keys and after that turn on the assistive flashlight on your mobile phone and turn the beam directly to your screen...you will notice that you can actually see the icons on yours screen cause it only dims the backlight in stead of turning if the display completely
    Thanks for the advice anyway
  • JackE
    Options
    The backlight consumes 99.999999% of the power. It is not dimmed. It is off. The liquid crystal display itself without the backlight on takes effectively no current and thus consumes effectively no power. An liquid crystal display is a voltage controlled field effect device.   The only way to cut the LCD voltage, is to turn off power to the CPU/GPU and put it in standby which will then not be available for completing tasks.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ