High cpu usage affecting Zoom meeting quality - CB315 - 2H - 4602

AlyEdin
AlyEdin Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
My Acer 315 Chromebook is about 2 months old and it was bought specifically for Zoom meetings. When I have my weekly Zoom meeting, I almost immediately get the message that 'my high CPU usage is affecting the meeting quality'. The video quality is poor and people say that we sound like we are underwater. We are able to use a mobile phone for the meetings with very good sound and video and my friend's tablet also works very well in our house, so the problem is with the chromebook.  Task manager doesn't indicate that there is any problem either and I have added very few apps or extensions. 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, a power wash wouldn't hurt as long as you backup any locally stored pictures or videos or music... :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Which model do you have? It should be something like CB315-xx-xxxx... We're going to need more details about the system to try and figure out what's bogging you down.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AlyEdin
    Its CB315 - 2H - 4602
  • billsey
    Hmm, you have one of the A-series AMD chipsets with enough memory and an eMMC SSD so horsepower shouldn't be an issue. Your wireless supports 802.11ac and your webcam is 720p so you should have enough bandwidth. What type of router are you connecting to? Are there very many other SSIDs in your channel? That might point at network throughput issues... If you don't have other apps active  there shouldn't be a big CPU hog in the background, are you recording the Zoom session or is your system trying to backup the stream to disk or to Google?
  • AlyEdin
    We have a Virgin hub 3.0. Some weeks ago I ran a wifi analyser and changed it to manual channel selection and moved onto quiet channels so we have no issues with channel stability now and as I said, no other devices have any issues. We certainly aren't recording Zoom but I don't know how you would identify if the system is backing up the Zoom stream - perhaps you could advise. Perhaps I should reset the device back to factory settings as I don't think that I had these problems the very first time that we used it. Thanks for your help  :)

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Yeah, a power wash wouldn't hurt as long as you backup any locally stored pictures or videos or music... :)
  • AlyEdin
    Well I did a power wash and then set up the Chromebook using my husband's Google account as he has never set up any extensions on Chrome O S. We had our Zoom meeting on Friday evening with absolutely no problems! I don't suppose that I will ever know what was hogging the CPU but as long as 
  • AlyEdin
    it's working, that's fine by me. Thanks for your help.

• billsey
    Good to hear!