Questions about Acer Aspire 5 A515-44-R2SA

Options
dudefoxlive
dudefoxlive Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

So I am looking for a new laptop and keep coming by this machine. The "Acer Aspire 5 A515-44-R2SA" on amazon and people keep suggesting it to me. I have been reading the reviews on amazon and all the images show that this machine has 2 ram slots in it. What I would like to know is if anyone can confirm this. I can't find any pictures online of people opening the machine nor can I confirm that reviews have the exact model as displayed in the listing. Can someone please confirm that this machine has 2 slots for ram that are upgradable. Some say that it has 8GB soldered to the motherboard and an additional slot. I want to have two slots for ram and none soldered on the motherboard. Also can someone verify if this machine has Display port over USB-C? just curious.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited September 2020
    Options
    So I am looking for a new laptop and keep coming by this machine. The "Acer Aspire 5 A515-44-R2SA" on amazon and people keep suggesting it to me. I have been reading the reviews on amazon and all the images show that this machine has 2 ram slots in it. What I would like to know is if anyone can confirm this. I can't find any pictures online of people opening the machine nor can I confirm that reviews have the exact model as displayed in the listing. Can someone please confirm that this machine has 2 slots for ram that are upgradable. Some say that it has 8GB soldered to the motherboard and an additional slot. I want to have two slots for ram and none soldered on the motherboard. Also can someone verify if this machine has Display port over USB-C? just curious.

This Acer Aspire 5 A515-44-R2SA can be upgraded to a max of 32GB ram and has 2x slots (2 banks of 1) for the ram and it comes with OEM ram of 8GB removable. Its storage specs are M.2/PCIe driver interface and 2.5” SATA 3 - 6Gb/s interface. see here: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-a515-44-r2sa for all this laptops upgradable components and what ram and SSD it can be upgraded to for the Acer Aspire 5 A515-44-R2SA. 

Btw with the ram, I wouldn’t go any higher than DDR4-2666MHz as the DDR4-3200MHz might not be compatible with this laptops chipset and might not work, be careful and use CPUz (and look in the Memory and SPD sections) for the exact specs of your OEM ram.

• dudefoxlive

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:

This Acer Aspire 5 A515-44-R2SA can be upgraded to a max of 32GB ram and has 2x slots (2 banks of 1) for the ram and it comes with OEM ram of 8GB removable. Its storage specs are M.2/PCIe driver interface and 2.5” SATA 3 - 6Gb/s interface. see here: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/acer/aspire-a515-44-r2sa for all this laptops upgradable components and what ram and SSD it can be upgraded to for the Acer Aspire 5 A515-44-R2SA. 

Btw with the ram, I wouldn’t go any higher than DDR4-2666MHz as the DDR4-3200MHz might not be compatible with this laptops chipset and might not work, be careful and use CPUz (and look in the Memory and SPD sections) for the exact specs of your OEM ram.

Hmm this is interesting cause multiple people on reddit are telling me no it comes with 8 gb soldered onto the motherboard and a single open slot. I have even seen a video of the ryzen 5-4500u model and it only had 1 slot with 8gb soldered onto the motherboard. I keep getting mixed information from people.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    This model comes with 8GB onboard memory and a slot for upgrade, you can install a DDR4 2666/3200 MHz 16GB module in the slot to make the maximum total memory of 24GB.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    See these links:
    The colleague brummyfan2 is correct, see:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dudefoxlive

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi,
    This model comes with 8GB onboard memory and a slot for upgrade, you can install a DDR4 2666/3200 MHz 16GB module in the slot to make the maximum total memory of 24GB.
    Ah ok this is what I was expecting. Currently my dell laptop already has 24GB of ram in it from a single 8GB and a 16GB. If I moved the 16GB over I would have my 24GB. But can anyone confirm that it will run in dual channel? I know Ryzen does better when in dual channel but its 8GB and a 16GB. Unless things have changed i always thought u needed two identical sticks?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    16gb will work on dual channel. The remaining 8gb will work in single channel.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ramma09
    Ramma09 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I have the Acer Aspire 5 A515-44-R2SA
    It comes with 8gb onboard, working at 2400mhz. I upgraded it with a 16gb 2666mhz stick. It works dual channel up to 16gb. The other 8gb should be single channel. Due to the 2400mhz onboard ram, thats the max speed you can get.
    Its a nice machine. It runs smooth.
    I didn't test if this machine has Display port over USB-C

• dudefoxlive

Tinkerer

Options
    Ramma09 said:
    It comes with 8gb onboard, working at 2400mhz. I upgraded it with a 16gb 2666mhz stick. It works dual channel up to 16gb. The other 8gb should be single channel. Due to the 2400mhz onboard ram, thats the max speed you can get.

Can i ask if this machine comes with the extra hardware for adding a hdd to it? I see spot and connector and others say it does come with it
  • Ramma09
    Options
    Ramma09 said:

Can i ask if this machine comes with the extra hardware for adding a hdd to it? I see spot and connector and others say it does come with it

Yes, it comes with the extra hardware > the cable and the metal caddy. You can easily add a sata ssd or hdd by yourself.
  • Patrickxxxx
    Patrickxxxx Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    So for confirmation the acer aspire 5 a515-44-r2sa 2020 has 8gb soldered and one dimm alot free for max 16gb?. What's the frequency of the 8gb
  • dudefoxlive

Tinkerer

Options
    So for confirmation the acer aspire 5 a515-44-r2sa 2020 has 8gb soldered and one dimm alot free for max 16gb?. What's the frequency of the 8gb
    Please correct me of I am wrong but I remember being told 2400 MHZ
  • Patrickxxxx
    Options
    I heard 2666 on a youtube video and someone in the chat said it too but someone also said 2400
  • Patrickxxxx
    Options
    Does  anyone  have the answer to my question
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes, that's correct, according to manual you have 8GB onboard memory and a slot for an upgrade, you can install 16GB maximum in the slot but we can not guarantee the configuration as this model comes with different configurations, memory speed is 2666MHz.
  • Ramma09
    Options
    Does  anyone  have the answer to my question

The acer aspire 5 a515-44-r2sa 2020 has 8gb 2400 mhz soldered and one dimm slot free for max 16gb stick. So you can have up to 24gb ram on this notebook, working at 2400 mhz.
  • Ddom
    Ddom Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Yes, that's correct, according to manual you have 8GB onboard memory and a slot for an upgrade, you can install 16GB maximum in the slot but we can not guarantee the configuration as this model comes with different configurations, memory speed is 2666MHz.
    I'm considering returning mine. I bought the laptop a week ago, had a look the other day and mine has a slot with 4gb in and what looks like 4gb soldered. According to Crucial test one is 3200 and the other is 2665( that's correct, I checked the ram stick ) I have put hours and hours into research of laptops and was relying on this model being 8 plus free slot or two slots and it is not the case. Makes me angry how unreliable the manufacturers are. 
  • DiegoS
    DiegoS Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Ddom said:
    I'm considering returning mine. I bought the laptop a week ago, had a look the other day and mine has a slot with 4gb in and what looks like 4gb soldered. According to Crucial test one is 3200 and the other is 2665( that's correct, I checked the ram stick ) I have put hours and hours into research of laptops and was relying on this model being 8 plus free slot or two slots and it is not the case. Makes me angry how unreliable the manufacturers are. 
    Sorry I'm not an expert on computers. What is the problem with the laptop being 4gb soldered and 4 free? I haven't opened mine but i'm planning on upgrading my RAM
  • Ddom
    Ddom Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    DiegoS said:
    Ddom said:
    Sorry I'm not an expert on computers. What is the problem with the laptop being 4gb soldered and 4 free? I haven't opened mine but i'm planning on upgrading my RAM
    Dual channel ram gives better performance because the system is able to access both channels at the same time compared to single channel so is able to do heavier tasks faster. I spent ages looking for a laptop where I could have 16 GB in dual channel mode so 8 each. Compared to me having 8 GB in dual channel right now. So when upgraded it would still only be able to access 8 GB in dual channel and get the rest single channel (if I buy 16gb stick it will use 4+4+8 instead of 8+8 as I hoped)

Now I have looked into the benefits of dual channel and it seems it's most useful for heavy games so I might not lose out much in my case but I've wasted a lot of time looking for a laptop that I can max out performance in only to buy something I could've bought 2 months ago in a nicer looking machine. 

I can't return mine anymore because I bought it in Argos and they don't take open box returns.....
  • jamedina
    jamedina Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Ramma09 said:

Ramma09 said:

Ramma09 said:

Ramma09 said:

Ramma09 said:

Ramma09 said:

Ramma09 said:

Ramma09 said:

Could you please advice me the crucial memory model have you installed ?
  • Ramma09
    Options
    Could you please advice me the crucial memory model have you installed ?

Yes, this one:

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM

CT16G4SFD8266