AO725: Can anyone help?

Joanna85
Joanna85 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I have a acer aspire one 725  the bios is locked and it boots to no bootable devices please restart system the boot menu is empty and iv tried a bootable usb and it will not show on the menu I tried F12 and [  I removed the CMOS battery for everywhere between 5 min to an hour I want to try the jumpers but not entirely sure we're to find them I'm not sure if the HDD or the sensor is bad I don't have the wire to be able to check I got this number off the main board but what can I do with it DAOZHGMB6DO REV : D

[Edited title to add product name]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Boy, that's an oldie! The AO725 came originally with Windows 7 and was early enough that I don't believe it had the UEFI BIOS that newer machines had. It sounds like the HDD has failed. If you were to create a bootable Windows 7 install image to a flash drive you could likely get up to the point where you could verify the drive is bad, or potentially take the drive out and connect it to a different machine to verify it's bad. It's less possible, but the drive might be good but the MBR has been overwritten by a virus that's poorly enough written to not actually boot. In that case you would see the drive and it's partitions from another computer. The important thing is figuring out the current state of the drive, then working at restoring your backup o get things running again.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Joanna85
    I already have bootable usb with the ios file but I'm having trouble getting it to appear on the boot menu
  • billsey
    In the BIOS is there a Secure Boot option? How did you create the bootable flash drive? If it was made on a modern machine it may be configured for UEFI and not legacy boot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Joanna85
    I can't get into bios it is locked  I created the bootable usb on a friend's laptop
  • billsey
    Does the F12 key during boot give you a boot menu? Likely you are going to have to be able to get into the BIOS. When you say "locked" what do you mean?
  • Joanna85
    It asked for a password when I got f2 and when I try F12,F8 ,and Alt + F10 it doesn't do anything only [ key will take me to boot menu
  • billsey
    Yes, if there is a password to get into the BIOS screen itself, you will have to contact Acer support to see if they can lift it for you. :(