Nitro 50 cooling issues (N50-600-EB19)

Jetjones
Jetjones Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I recently purchased the Nitro 50 i7 9700 / GTX 1660ti (N50-600-EB19) build and am expecting it before the end of the month.
I did some research before purchase but the more I read, the more I fear the system might overheat. I am planning to add a chassis fan (as the build doesn't include one) along with a heatsink for the motherboard to prevent this. I'll also be swapping the SSD for mine for increased performance.

Does anyone else here own the system and can guide me thru some more update recommendations to make sure it doesn't die on me? Even if the parts are a bit on the cheap side (from what I understand), it will still be a huge upgrade from my current setup if I can manage to make it last. Would water cooling be a good idea? If so, what would be compact enough to fit in this small chassis? I've read one instance where a chassis fan wasn't enough and the build overheated within a year..

Any help or tips about the model would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Answers

• JoseDavid10
    JoseDavid10 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Hola podrias poner 2 ventiladores en el lateral que se puede quitar para acceder al interior del ordenador
  • JoseDavid10
    JoseDavid10 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Una duda, la fuente de alimentación tiene conectores de sobra SATA?
  • Jetjones
    edited October 2020
    Update in the PC:

I added a chassis fan in the back. Had to use a cable splitter and plug both the chassis and cpu fan in the same place as the secondary fan slot didn’t work (Couldn’t find any settings for it under BIOS).

As my screen only refreshes at 60mz (60fps), I simply downloaded MSI afterburner and changed the fan curve so it spins at 100% when temps reach 70’c. I also set the gpu to downclock by itself when it reaches 80c. I do not need the extra fps so my desktop never runs hot.

That said, stock fans are pretty noisy. So it wouldn’t be a bad idea to change the gpu fan along the cpu cooler.

After some research, I was told that the cpu cooler below fits well in the small chassis - but ended up not buying it for now since temps are good for my current use. I can run all games at ultra settings. 

Noctua NH-D9L, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A9 92mm Fan (Brown)
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00QCEWTAW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LGWIFbPY9V6NM

There is no extra sata connectors. I switched the 1tb HDD for a 1tb SSD.
  • Jetjones
    It doesn’t have an extra cable. As I didn’t have any handy, I simply replaced the HDD for a second SSD (1tb).

Update on cooling issues:

I ended up adding a desperately needed chassis fan in the back. Had to use a 4-pin cable splitter as I couldn’t find the bios settings for the second fan slot.

If you want to use this build to it’s full potential, the stock cooling won’t be sufficient. Since my monitor only has a 60hz refresh rate as of now, I settled for setting tweaks. Using MSI Afterburner, I changed the GPU fan curve to run at 100% when it reaches 75’c. I’ve also set a max temp of 80’c so that the gpu downclocks by itself reaching that point (which is pretty much all the time while gaming). I can run all games at ultra settings and 60fps. If you want to go over 60fps, I would suggest you change the stock fan on the GPU (it’s noisy as hell - and not good enough from what I’ve read).

To cool down the whole build better, I’d also invest in a better CPU cooler. After some research - this seems to be the best fit for the chassis size:

Noctua NH-D9L, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-A9 92mm Fan (Brown) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00QCEWTAW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_z5WIFbT2WQFWX