Upgrade Aspire TC-780(KBL) motherboard with a Intel Core i5 7400 Kaby Lake

Options
UltraVioletIris
UltraVioletIris Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hi - I am looking to upgrade the CPU on my Acer Aspire TC-780 KBL. I'm a first timer doing hardware upgrades and have finished successfully upgrading memory, M.2 SSD, power supply and cooling fan. So far so good.

However, I am looking for some confirmation that I can do the upgrades below:

CPU:
Current: i5-7400 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
Planned Upgrade: Intel Core i7-7700 Desktop Processor 4 Cores up to 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 100/200 Series 65W

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, the upgrade should go well for the CPU. The cooler may or may not be more of a hassle, but still doable. Some of the aftermarket coolers don't use the exact same mounts, they use designs that are more universal, which translates to 'requires more changes' to your system. :) If it uses the same mounting holes and nuts as the current one you're good to go, if not you might have to pull the motherboard fully in order to change out the nuts.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• UltraVioletIris

Tinkerer

Options
    And thanks @billsey and @StevenGen for the content in a previous post. Appreciate your guidance here. Thanks!  
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, the upgrade should go well for the CPU. The cooler may or may not be more of a hassle, but still doable. Some of the aftermarket coolers don't use the exact same mounts, they use designs that are more universal, which translates to 'requires more changes' to your system. :) If it uses the same mounting holes and nuts as the current one you're good to go, if not you might have to pull the motherboard fully in order to change out the nuts.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • UltraVioletIris

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks @billsey. I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tips on the cooler mounts. Here I go...

• UltraVioletIris

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks @billsey for the comments about possibly having to remove the motherboard. I had to. Both the stock cooler that came with the new i7 CPU and the aftermarket cooler use the push pin design. After nearly breaking both of them trying to install them in screw holes, I decided to take out the motherboard. Ugh. Ok. That allowed me to see the unsolvable problem of the push pins do not fit in the screw mounts. Going for broke I pried the mount off the back of the motherboard including removing some strong adhesive. Ok. Once off the cooler installed easily. No instructions anywhere mentioned this reality - must tear off cpu cooler mount from the back of the motherboard in order to install push pins. Thanks for the courage! All good now.
  • billsey
    Options
    Good to know... That's sometimes the problem with non-stock mounts, the screw in type are more robust, but won't work with the pushpin types without removing the nuts and cage.