Help needed with acer travelmate 240

Computerzer0
Computerzer0 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi
Thanks for letting me join this site,
I have an acer travelmate 240 and it's running on windows xp, 
I need to use this laptop to run a diagbox it's a program that can find faults on my car.

The problems i am having with the laptop is when its hardwired to the internet i can only get MSN come up. No other pages come up, 

So I guess the internet is working but after reading around i thought I should try and download firefox onto a memory stick from another computer and then load it onto the acer travelmate 240, but it will not find the memory stick.

Is there any other way i can get this onto my acer travelmate 240.

I am ultimately trying to get Winrar software onto the laptop to be able to read the diagbox software.

Any help would be very much appreciated but please would you put it in simple terms as i do not know much at all about computers 

Regards simon 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Windows XP didn't support the newer encryption modes, so any https: sites are likely not going to work. I don't know of any workarounds for that, though there might be some. The USB drive should work, but it might be too big for XP to handle, IIRC XP maxed out at 2GB partition size. If you can find a smaller drive that would likely work, or partition the flash drive to make a 2GB partition... In the long term you are going to be much better off to find newer software for the diagnostics.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Computerzer0
    Computerzer0 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi thanks for your quick reply, so would i be able to purchase a smaller memory stick and download Winrar on to it, then hopefully load that on to the acer travelmate 240.?

Thanks 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    I believe so, verify though that WinRAR support XP. You may have to find an old version.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.