Acer Nitro AN515-51 fans keep speeding up

Jordy_Ryan
Jordy_Ryan Member Posts: 22 Networker
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello everyone.

So I have an issue regarding my laptop. My Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51) seems to keep speeding up when its idling, both when the screen is on / when it turned black. This happened even when there are no apps opened when it goes idle, and at one time it speed up just after I left the laptop a bit after I restarted it. I tried downloading Predator Sense to check how fast it went. At one time, the rpm reach 5000-6000ish and the heat hit 75-88°C at it highest. If kept left alone, the fan would just keep speeding up to the point I can hear it clearly from a feet or so away, until it just suddenly went to halt / slowed down enough to not make any noise. But it'll just speed up again after a while, and keep repeating the speeding up-halting cycle.

This issue never happened when I actually used the laptop, even when I'm opening multiple tabs of browser while using another heavy load apps such as video editor simultaneously. At most when I'm using it, the rpm would hit 3300-3600 with stable heat at 56-65
°C. The only time it'll speed up is when I'm using it for playing heavy load / processor demanding games. But even then, the laptop would slow down in a controlled manner after I'm closing the game.  There is also a curious thing in which if I use / wake up the laptop when its idling and the fan is currently in fast speed, it'll slowly, but noticeably, slowing down until its normal again.

The current condition of my laptop itself would be these: I plugged the power most of the time (I plugged it out when the laptop is shut down). The battery status at Windows Mobility Center is set at High Performance. I have tried uninstalling any unnecessary apps that might put more load in the system background. I've updated both Windows and Nvidia to it current latest version. I've checked if there is anything wrong with battery etc. using Acer Care Center, no problem there. I also tried to air dust my fans. Before the dusting, I noticed there are some hair-like dust in the fan intake vent and cleaned it. After dusting it, some small particles and dust(?) did come out, but the speeding up issue still persist.

I tried to research this issue, and some suggest undervolt, in which I do not want to do since I read that it'll reduce the lifespan of my laptop. I also saw somewhere that unplugging the power help to slow down the fan since the laptop can't run at full capacity. It did work, but it seems like only a temporary fix and would rather be an inconvenience to do that everytime the issue arise. And it won't fix the issue that when it is plugged up with power, the fans will speed up again anyhow when went idle and might lead to even bigger or worse damage to the laptop if left alone. This certain issue only started for several months ago, if I remember correctly.

So, does anyone have any suggestion on what might caused this, and how to fix it? Or should I went to repair center?
Still if I do go to repair center, it's more reassuring to know what the possible cause of this issue beforehand as to not go there blind, and got the issue unresolved in the end.

Thank you.

Answers

• batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Windows update backgroud proccesses while idle?
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Jordy_Ryan
    @batmalin Both my Windows and Nvidia have been updated to the current latest one. I've also checked it just now, so I highly doubt that was the case..
  • Jordy_Ryan
    edited September 2020
    Update: I went to Acer Service Center yesterday to clean the fan and have them repaste my laptop. The technician said that before, it seems the fans are a tad dirty, and the paste mushed a bit to the side.
    The issue still persist though, even after the cleaning. The laptop still hit 70-80°C when idle with plugged power. Any thought?
  • Hahaha
    Hahaha Member Posts: 243 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Update: I went to Acer Service Center yesterday to clean the fan and have them repaste my laptop. The technician said that before, it seems the fans are a tad dirty, and the paste mushed a bit to the side.
    The issue still persist though, even after the cleaning. The laptop still hit 70-80°C when idle with plugged power. Any thought?
    A peak in the 70s is acceptable. It doesn't mean your computer is hot. Unless you were doing something resource intensive, peak temperatures last only for a second. I could go up again but will come back to the 50-60s instantly. Also since they just serviced your laptop, it's unlikely that the fans have anything wrong with them. 
    As far as I know, resource usages can also show going high for a few seconds sometimes while idling. The computer is only doing what it needs to do. You don't have to think about it, unless the spikes lasts for longer than a minute.
  • Jordy_Ryan
    @Hahaha True, the possibility of fans and paste is the one causing this issue are crossed out because of the service.
    But what happened is the worst case one, as what you said. The heat peak of 70-80°C will last for, at least according from my rough estimation, 5 minutes at the minimum before it'll went to abrupt deceleration in speed and restarting the heating up cycle. And it is hot to touch. The heat can be felt from the number row, up to the entire upper base which is covered (the one that have heat vent below it).
    I actually tested this after I just got home from the service and booting up my laptop. I closed all the app that popped up and just waited to see if the issue still persist. And it still does, unfortunately.
    Now I'm worried there's something wrong within my laptop that caused this heat problem, but I don't know what might be the problem..
  • Hahaha
    I see.
    It is hard to pinpoint the source of problem at this point. It could be a rogue system process. Or an infection. Or the technician who did the servicing made an error; say something- food, dirt or bug has lodged itself in the vents(possible if the man left the computer sitting open, unsupervised) somewhere out of immediate sight. 
    If you don't mind, then doing a factory reset will eliminate the possibility of an infection. I am not outright telling you to do it; more like something to keep in mind for later.
  • Jordy_Ryan
    @Hahaha True, I am considering that reset option after I finished my project, if all else still fail. Thank you for the insight
  • Jordy_Ryan
    edited September 2020
    @Hahaha So I just downloaded Malwarebytes and some other apps as my battery is acting up now. It seems that it found several malware, and some of them are related to Bitcoin mining. Have deleted them and my fans seems to not overheat as much now, not even when playing games.. I hope that's the case. Will still check it up on later dates to the service center. And will keep this post open if anyone else have any opinion regarding the matter, or for any updates.
    Thanks again!
  • Hahaha
    @Hahaha So I just downloaded Malwarebytes and some other apps as my battery is acting up now. It seems that it found several malware, and some of them are related to Bitcoin mining. Have deleted them and my fans seems to not overheat as much now, not even when playing games.. I hope that's the case. Will still check it up on later dates to the service center. And will keep this post open if anyone else have any opinion regarding the matter, or for any updates.
    Thanks again!
    Oh that's great! Update us if it starts happening again.
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    So still something has worked in the background (it wasn`t windows like I thought), I am glad that the issue is resolved. Enjoy your laptop and keep an eye on the battery.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• Jordy_Ryan
    @batmalin Indeed! Never would've thought that malware would be the case though, but fortunately it got found out before more damage is done.. And thanks, will certainly do!