Acer Nitro 5 What should I do to Upgrades for generally better performance?

Reid_Bennett1
Reid_Bennett1 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in Nitro Gaming
What should I do to upgrade my Acer Nitro 5 An515-54 for generally better performance? My specs are i5 Core, 8GB ram, 1T Hard Drive, NVDIA GeForce GTX 1650
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Hi,
    You can install a M.2 NVMe SSD in slot one, transfer your contents of HDD to it and use as a boot drive, you can use 1TB HDD for additional storage, it will improve the performance immensely.
    Does the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54-560E have two m.2 NVME SSD? — Acer Community
  • Reid_Bennett1
    edited September 2020
    Hi,
    You can install a M.2 NVMe SSD in slot one, transfer your contents of HDD to it and use as a boot drive, you can use 1TB HDD for additional storage, it will improve the performance immensely.
    What did you mean by use as a boot drive? And it is my understanding that an SSD is just a better, faster version of an HDD is that correct? I assume I can only replace slot 1 with a bigger SSD and have keep slot 2 as an HDD but how big of an SSD should I install?
  • ktandon88
    ktandon88 Member Posts: 1 New User
    For M.2 NVMe SSD and RAM (DDR4) upgrade is there any specifications to match? like clock speed/voltage/refresh rate.  finding it difficult to check specs as nothing specific is mentioned. Also if components bought outside but installed from Acer authorized service center can help in retaining warranty (except the parts replaced)?
  • Reid_Bennett1
    ktandon88 said:
    For M.2 NVMe SSD and RAM (DDR4) upgrade is there any specifications to match? like clock speed/voltage/refresh rate.  finding it difficult to check specs as nothing specific is mentioned. Also if components bought outside but installed from Acer authorized service center can help in retaining warranty (except the parts replaced)?
    Get CPU-Z and you can see the specifics of your ram and such. 
  • Hi,
    What did you mean by use as a boot drive? And it is my understanding that an SSD is just a better, faster version of an HDD is that correct? I assume I can only replace slot 1 with a bigger SSD and have keep slot 2 as an HDD but how big of an SSD should I install?
    Hi,
    You have 1TB HDD in your laptop, you can use a M.2 NVMe SSD, transfer the OS to it and it will become the boot drive, you can use the HDD for storage, M.2 NVMe SSDs are faster than 5400rpm 2.5" HDDs.

• Scottyxlr8
    Scottyxlr8 Member Posts: 1 New User

Reid, Your boot drive is the one that starts up your computer. So, you are correct, the SSD is faster. The trick is to get the operating system files from the slower hard drive to faster SSD. Tom's hardware is a reliable source, and I would follow that, but do a little investigation - it's been a few years since I've done any cloning…

This discussion has been closed.