Unable to boot Windows 10 installer.

cosine
cosine Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
I have a family members' Aspire A315-21, with a dead windows 10 install, so I thought I had nothing better to do than back up their stuff, boot from my Windows 10 USB stick, and get everything up and running again.
Problem is, the laptop refuses to boot properly from the USB stick, the Acer logo shows for 10 seconds or so, then the laptop restarts. I have tried the following:
  • Disabling UEFI mode
  • a different USB stick
  • a different hard disk
  • burning an ISO of windows 10 to a DVD, and attempted to boot from an external DVD drive
  • creating the USB install media using rufus
all of which give the same results. I have another USB stick with PartedMagic, and it boots from that just fine.
Am I missing something, or is something more sinister going on? :#

Cheers.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Try setting and saving a BIOS supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS menu with the password and re-do all the secure boot stuff including clearing the secure boot setting in the BIOS security tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Make sure the F12 boot option is enabled in the BIOS Main tab. The BIOS must be left in UEFI mode, not legacy. With the stick inserted, turn the machine on and immediately start tapping the F12 key. A menu should pop to allow you to choose the stick. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cosine

Tinkerer

Yeah, I did try that, but it makes no difference. The bios sees the stick and does initially access it since the access led flashes for a short time, but then the laptop restarts itself. 
  • JackE
    Did you try all 3 USB ports? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cosine

Tinkerer

I did. Been testing the ram in the meantime, and no errors so far. I also tried the windows 10 sticks on my own laptop, for the sake of my own sanity, and they work fine. 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Try setting and saving a BIOS supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS menu with the password and re-do all the secure boot stuff including clearing the secure boot setting in the BIOS security tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• cosine

Tinkerer

Okay, will give it a shot and report back.  :)
  • cosine

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Bingo! It's booting the windows 10 usb stick fine now. Thanks for the tip. :)
  • JackE
    Congrats on your success! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ