Aspire Switch 10-E in Win10 "Undoing changes...." startup loop. How to enter Recovery mode?

Options
worldmaker
worldmaker Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 18 in 2020 Archives
After year's of good service Windows 10 tried a new update and now the tablet is caught in the famous "Undoing changes made to your computer" loop on bootup.
I need to break the loop and get into recovery mode to try and repair the installation.

I've tried F8, F11 and using two, three, even four hard reboots in succession, but nothing is helping.
Is there anther boot-up command or key I should be using to force the tablet into Advanced Startup Options or something?

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    WHAT happens when you press alt + f10 before the acer logo?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • worldmaker

Tinkerer

Options

I didn't know about that option.
    It went to "Recovery" screen, and asks for external recovery media (obviously there is no recovery media for the Aspire tablet) and the only other option is to press the Windows key.  Pressing the Windows key did nothing.
    After about a minute the table switched off.

Thanks for the suggestion, but no result in breaking the "Undoing changes..." loop on start-up.

Do you have any other suggestions?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    It's a bit of a pain but you can boot from a Windows install flash drive (create it on a different system) and do an in-place upgrade to see if that fixes the issues it's seeing now. You might also be able to fix it by using the recovery tools from the install boot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • worldmaker

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    It's a bit of a pain but you can boot from a Windows install flash drive (create it on a different system) and do an in-place upgrade to see if that fixes the issues it's seeing now. You might also be able to fix it by using the recovery tools from the install boot.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    I spent a few hours yesterday preparing a USB Recovery drive on from another Aspire Switch Tablet and I will test this to see if I can get into the injured one, but I suspect it will not give me access to the internal OS of the faulty machine and the ability to use Safe or Recovery modes.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    If you are booted on the USB, you should have full access to the internal drive. If not then the drive is likely bad... My guess is the drive is OK, it's just that the boot process is sing corrupted files and we just need to get those cleaned up.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • worldmaker

Tinkerer

Options
    billsey said:
    My guess is the drive is OK, it's just that the boot process is sing corrupted files and we just need to get those cleaned up.
    That's my thought.
    This is all the result of Windows 10 trying to run an update then failing and attempting to undo all the changes, and now it's locked in a permanent loop.  All I have to do is find some way to break in to the OS and revert to a previous restore point (if I can find one).  The challenge is that Windows has no Safe Mode on boot-up, every effort I've made to find one has failed, every piece of advice online has failed.

I'm also shopping to buy a box of cheap Android tablets instead of Windows 10.  :-) 
  • worldmaker

Tinkerer

Options
    Here's an update.
    I returned to the advice and read the bluescreen "Recovery" page again.  It still asks for me to press the Windows key.  I was getting no response from the Windows key on the keyboard, then I noticed another Windows button on the right side of screen.  THIS is the Windows button to use.

The right-side Windows button got me into basic settings, where I could enable the F12 Boot start option.
    Reboot the tablet and hit F12 gets into bluescreen boot options, and allows me to select the USB Recovery Drive.
    Only the Recovery Drive didn't work.
    Looks like I will have to create another Recovery Drive on a better quality USB devise, or something else?
    Further results to follow if I ever get anything working.
  • worldmaker

Tinkerer

Options
    As promised here are the results of how I recovered the data and restored the computer through assorted, entertaining and amusing experiences (I'm sure someone, somewhere in Microsoft is laughing).

This gist: had to open the boot process and unlock the back doors, use a Linux key to access my data and then reinstall with a clean Windows 10.

https://worldmaker.sterlingsecure.co.uk/deathloop-win10/