Acer Travelmate TMP255-m does not turn on

jack32
jack32 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,

my Acer Travelmate TMP255-m just died while using it. Screen went black, no response, leds stayed on, could not shut down by holding down the power button. had to unplug ac and battery.

When I press the power button the power led turns for a few seconds and goes off again. nothing else, no screen, no fan, no beep
When I connect the charger and battery, battery led comes on.
I removed the HDD and reseated the RAM, no change...
I tried pressing the power button for 30 sec, no change...
I replaced the CMOS battery (was on 2.8V), no change...

ANY mor Ideas?

Thank you

Answers

• LunaAdmirer
    LunaAdmirer Member Posts: 112 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi @jack32

Try this method :

Shut machine off by pressing and holding the power button. Remove charger. Then gently insert a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole on the bottom of the laptop for about 30 seconds. Then plug the charger back in. Try to turn the machine on again. 

Click yes if this was useful to you!! 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    If you weren't able to force a shutdown by holding the power button for 30 seconds then something serious is wrong. That indicates that the processor isn't running enough to even count to 30000 (milliseconds). Was there any indication it was overheating or any issues with charging prior to the failure?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jack32
    jack32 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi @jack32

Try this method :

Shut machine off by pressing and holding the power button. Remove charger. Then gently insert a paperclip into the battery reset pinhole on the bottom of the laptop for about 30 seconds. Then plug the charger back in. Try to turn the machine on again. 

Click yes if this was useful to you!! 
    There is no "battery reset pinhole"...

billsey said:
    If you weren't able to force a shutdown by holding the power button for 30 seconds then something serious is wrong. That indicates that the processor isn't running enough to even count to 30000 (milliseconds). Was there any indication it was overheating or any issues with charging prior to the failure?
    no, it wasn't doing much work and was not running hot.
    Last possible step would be to find a different RAM module. but its unlikely that the RAM goes bad.

That laptop was retired and served as a backup. Now it can fully retire..

Thanks