What newer CPUs can fit in Acer Aspire TC-780

Grebyn
Grebyn Member Posts: 2 New User
Hello, i recently bought a Acer Aspire TC-780 and in wondering what newer cpus can fit in it, can 1151 V2 fit in it?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    It depends on which MB your system shipped with. Do you have a 6th gen or 7th gen CPU right now? You can upgrade within the same generation, but need to be careful about TSP budgets. So, the i7-7700 would likely be the max if yours is a 7th gen and i7-6700 if yours is 6th. The i7-x700K would likely require changes to the cooling.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Grebyn
    Grebyn Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the 7th gen CPU now, i3 7100, do you think i can get a i5 6600K? 
  • billsey
    No, you should stick with the 7th gen. i3-7100 to i5-7400T, i5-7500T, i5-7600T or i7-7700T will all stay in your power budget and work.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • UmmIsThisNameTaken
    UmmIsThisNameTaken Member Posts: 2 New User

Wish I would have read this first. I'm currently going to attempt to upgrade my TC-780 that has an i5-7400 to an i5-7600k.

What problems am I going to run into?

• billsey

You are going to have to spend a fair amount of extra cash to upgrade the cooling then. Do some research on LGA 1151 cooling solutions. Otherwise you will be crashing out with overtemps too often.