How do I upgrade BIOS on ASPIRE GX-785?

Options
Emibg
Emibg Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hi,
I have seen numerous videos and tutorials that upgrade the BIOS by downloading the newer versions directly from ACER's site and then running the executable found inside. However, the downloads available for my PC do not contain such file and I have ran all the executable and batch files downloaded but none successfully upgrade the BIOS. The folders downloaded are: Appendix, Rom, EFI, and WIN.

Please HELP!

P.S. the new versions can be found at: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support-product/7129

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,788 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Most PCIe adapter cards don't support booting. I've looked through the descriptions on the various BIOSes and it doesn't look as if they've done anything to change that. Are you booting from the M.2 SATA SSD now, or do you only have the HDD? Realistically, booting from the SSD on the motherboard for the UEFI and recovery partitions, then using an add-on NVMe card to hold the Windows system drive isn't going to be much at all of an detraction from Booting anf running from an NVMe. Remember the EFI portion of the boot doesn't take very long, even on a slightly slower drive. Also putting an NVMe card in means you won't be able to use the GPU slot for graphics. The other PCIe slot is only an x1 and will be slower than the builtin M.2 SATA slot.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Emibg

You are getting close. Open the appendix folder, you will see the instructions on three methods to update BIOS. I personally like to use the Windows 10 method. Just follow the instructions for that page, "run as administrator" for the BIOS version under the UCP folder.
  • billsey
    Options
    Be aware of which BIOS images work with which SKUs. What BIOS do you have now? What are you trying to fix with an update?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Emibg
    Emibg Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    @billsey Right now, my PC has the default BIOS version R02-A0 from 08-Dec-16. I am trying to upgrade my storage from HDD to NVMe SSD through an x4 PCIe adapter. However, I'm not sure if my BIOS can handle booting from an NVMe drive so I just thought I'd update the BIOS for safety's sake.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Most PCIe adapter cards don't support booting. I've looked through the descriptions on the various BIOSes and it doesn't look as if they've done anything to change that. Are you booting from the M.2 SATA SSD now, or do you only have the HDD? Realistically, booting from the SSD on the motherboard for the UEFI and recovery partitions, then using an add-on NVMe card to hold the Windows system drive isn't going to be much at all of an detraction from Booting anf running from an NVMe. Remember the EFI portion of the boot doesn't take very long, even on a slightly slower drive. Also putting an NVMe card in means you won't be able to use the GPU slot for graphics. The other PCIe slot is only an x1 and will be slower than the builtin M.2 SATA slot.