I'm looking to add an SSD to Acer aspire xc-705: Motherboard and upgrades.

Options
NathanHockley
NathanHockley Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi there,
I'm looking to add an SSD to my Acer aspire xc-705. However, I can't seem to find anywhere the motherboard for this PC and whether I can install an SSD. Any help would be much appreicited.
[Edited the thread to add issue  detail]

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @NathanHockley

It all depends on how eager that you want to use SSD (I think it definitely worth it). If there is no more SATA data connector on the motherboard, you can:

1) Replace the existing spinning HDD with the SSD by restoring an image file to the new SSD
    or
    2) Give up the DVD drive and replace it with an external DVD drive, relinquish the SATA connector to the new SSD.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    There are three SATA connectors on the MB, a black one for the ODD (SATA2) and two white ones for HDDs/SSDs (SATA3). Typically they shipped with one ODD and one HDD, so the second SATA3 connector should be free for your SSD. It should be #8 or #9 here:

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ZKA
    ZKA Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Does anyone have this exact image with the reference readouts? My HDD is connected to number 8 connector - is it SATA I? My DVD is connected to connector number 9 - is it SATA I ? Connector 10 is empty - is it SATA III ? Also, is connector 5 a regular DDR3 connector for RAM expansion? I have a 4GB DIMM module in connector 6 - can I install a 8GB in connector 5?
  • billsey
    Options
    The black SATA (#10) is where the ODD should be connected, it's the one that is SATA 2.0. The two white connectors (#8 & #9) are for HDD/SSDs and are SATA 3.0. The Aspire XC-705 supports DDR3 1.5V 1066/1333/1600 DIMMs (2GB, 4GB or 8GB), so yes you should be able to drop an 8GB DIMM in to bring you up to 12GB. The larger of the two sticks should be where your current stick is if they are different sized. You'll get marginally better performance in dual channel mode, which requires both sticks match each other.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mikeCV3
    mikeCV3 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I'd also like to fit an SSD, but where would I put it? There is no spare slot for it and I can't remove the HDD to use its slot.
  • billsey
    Options
    There are no M.2 slots on the MB, so no easy way to drop in a SSD without using one of those SATA ports. Also no extra HDD mount, so no easy way to do a SSD without replacing the existing HDD. You could, however, find an empty area inside the case and mount a SATA SSD using something like double sticky tape. There are no moving parts in a SSD so no worries about it getting jostled. If you did that I'd clone the HDD to the SSD and configure for booting from the SSD. That will give a huge speed bump overall, since the SSD will have essentially no seek time to wait out.
  • mikeCV3
    Options
    Thanks billsey, that sounds like a great idea, so I'll have a look.

However I won't clone the HDD on to the SSD because I want to do a clean install of Windows from an installation media on a USB.

I've got good instructions from ComputerActive magazine on how to load Windows on to a new SSD, so that should go smoothly if I switch the leads from the HDD to the SSD. Hopefully I shouldn't need to do anything in the BIOS?

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mike
  • billsey
    Options
    You can do a clean install if you want, though just be ready to manually install any missing drivers and also know that any Acer specific apps will no longer be installed...
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,432 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options
    You'll have to change your boot selection in the bios to the SSD from the USB that you changed previously to allow the USB boot. 

• mikeCV3
    Options
    Hello everyone
    I want to boot the computer from a USB stick with Windows Installation Media on it, to do a Clean Install of Windows on to the HDD or on to a new SSD.
    I'm having a lot of trouble changing the Boot Option in my BIOS. The computer is an Aspire XC-705 desktop, bought in 2016.
    Here is a screenshot of my Boot Options screen:

I have moved the Removable Device up to the top of the Priority Order and disabled the Secure Boot option.
    I have not changed the status of Launch CSM, which is set to Never.
    Please can you tell me what to do with the Removable Device Priority? When I press Enter as instructed on the screen, I get to this page:

What am I supposed to do on this screen? If I press F10 to Save and Exit, the computer boots to the HDD instead of the USB stick.

I am getting very frustrated. Please can you help me?
    Mike

• ttttt
    Options
    @mikeCV3

Since the clean installation of Win 10 is a one time deal, you don't need to change boot priority for a somewhat long term setting.
    When boot up, keep tapping F12 (or Fn+F12 for some keyboards) to reach the Bootmenu. If the USB stick is bootable, it will show up from the Bootmenu. Boot from there and install Win 10 to the new 2.5" SATA3 SSD.
  • Larryodie
    Options
    You have to enable "Boot Menu" as in the 1st picture, save it and then reboot as tttt says with the F12.
    If you let Windows create the disk then it is bootable. 
  • Larryodie
    Options
    After you "Enable " the boot menu then do a F10 to save it. Then let it continue to windows and do a restart with F12 or FN + F12, then you'll see the USB drive selection. You can leave the boot menu enabled for the future if you wish. 
  • mikeCV3
    Options
    Thank you ttttt and Larryodie for all your advice, you have been very helpful.
    One last query - The HDD has two connectors, the small one being a power supply I believe. If I put the SSD in a cradle and stick it in a space as billsey has suggested, do I need a power supply for it? if so, where do I get it from and what sort of cable do I need? Thanks.

• Larryodie
    Options
    Can't you use the same power cable as the old HDD used or buy a "Y" cable if you want to hook them both ? I think they should be extra cables installed. 
    Maybe take a picture if this is not the answer .
  • ttttt
    Options
    @mikeCV3

SATA HDD or SSD have two connectors. The wider one is the power connector, to be connected to the power connector from the power supply unit, and the narrower one is the data connector to be connected from the SATA data connector on the motherboard.

Normally, there should be one or two spare power connector from the power supply (if you want to add a SSD in addition to the original HDD). If you don't want to keep the original internal HDD (or get an external USB 3.0 adapter to make this old HDD as an external drive), just use the original power connector and the data cable from the old HDD. Some USB external adapters (particularly those old, USB 2.0 type) may need an additional power supply, while most USB 3.0 type adapters don't need additional power supply when used with USB 3.0 port.

In case you need to get data cable, external adapter, SATA3 "Y"  power connector... etc. you can get them on-line from Newegg, Microcenter, E-bay, Amazon...etc.
    Visit their web sites and in the top search field type the item that you are looking for.

Or visit the stores of Best Buy or Micro Center physically if don't want to get them from internet (assume you are in the U.S.).
  • billsey
    Options
    Overkill even. :) But the price is right!
  • Marty11
    Marty11 Member Posts: 109 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

Do you have an unpopulated PCIe slot? If so then you could use a PCIe extension card to add an NVMe SSD. I did that with my Veriton desktop. Have a look here: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/581746/upgrade-veriton-x4610g-to-windows-10-and-nvme-pcie-ssd/p1

• samymann
    samymann Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

hello, I put an adapter with an extension cable in the PCIE x1 port and connected a M.2 NMVE SSD Gen3. I also cloned everything to the new SSD because I want to boot windows 10 from it. The las step isn't working because the boot menu doesnt recognises the SSD. Can anyone help?