Hinge Problem with ACER ASPIRE 5 A515-52-7290

Hiphy007
Hiphy007 Member Posts: 3 New User
I am having a hinge problem with my ACER ASPIRE 5 A515-52-7290 and I have read countless of similar issues on the internet. The hinge on the right is so bad that it has opened up...I can see the screen and some wires around the right frame. It appears there is a tech issue with this model of Acer. The SNID of my ASPIRE 5 A515-52-7290 is 84906130934. I am not currently in Canada due to COVID-19, I would have located a recognized ACER SHOP to fix the problem. The screen is yet to be affected but the hinge is getting worse by the day.

Kindly advice on what to do. Thank you.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Use color-coordinated duct tape to help prevent further damage. All laptops are subject to this same issue (except metal frame ruggedized models) from wear and tear of open and closing  the lid too much. It also can eventually lead to stress cracks in ribbon cable conductor traces that run inside the crowded hinge area. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Hiphy007
    JackE said:
    Use color-coordinated duct tape to help prevent further damage. All laptops are subject to this same issue (except metal frame ruggedized models) from wear and tear of open and closing  the lid too much. It also can eventually lead to stress cracks in ribbon cable conductor traces that run inside the crowded hinge area. Jack E/NJ
    Wear and tear in less than a year for a laptop that costs 978 CAD...this must be a joke of the century. I do not seem to agree with your explanation.
  • JackE
    Sorry. If the machine is still under warranty, you can try to file a claim to get it repaired. But claims for physical damage like this are often denied. Google broken or damaged hinge laptop for any major consumer laptop manufacturer. You will find very high hit numbers. It's a common issue due to the extremely high stresses focussed on small hinge supports in consumer grade product.  Duct tape, 2-part epoxies like JBWeld, etc are often cited in making practical broken hinge repairs or preventing further damage. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Hiphy007
    JackE said:
    Sorry. If the machine is still under warranty, you can try to file a claim to get it repaired. But claims for physical damage like this are often denied. Google broken or damaged hinge laptop for any major consumer laptop manufacturer. You will find very high hit numbers. It's a common issue due to the extremely high stresses focussed on small hinge supports in consumer grade product.  Duct tape, 2-part epoxies like JBWeld, etc are often cited in making practical broken hinge repairs or preventing further damage. Jack E/NJ
    Thank you for your concern. I had chatted with an ACER rep but it appears I may not get a good response at this time, courtesy of COVID-19. Although the rep asked that I should bring my PC for repair but I am not currently in Canada. I am not sure if the ACER will attend to me after international lockdown is over.

• JackE
    A lot depends on the ACER region where you originally purchased the machine. Some regions seem to be better or more flexible than others for physical damage issues like this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DrJinUSA
    DrJinUSA Member Posts: 1 New User
    After going through two lids/covers in less than a year because the glue on the right hinge fails, I ended up fixing it myself by using Gorilla Glue to reapply the hinge. Make sure that the hinge is glue in the exact spot where it came apart or the screws won't line up. I can't even force it to come off.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Hiphy007
    Some Acer laptops have very weak hinges, I have heard many cases like that.
    When the warranty period expire, using the method mentioned by @DrJinUSA will be a good one.