Cpu upgrade on acer aspire 5349

Hello...fo you guys that run  i5 2450m on aspire 5349...is there any specific catch or am i just unskillful....i want to upgrade cpu from b815 to i5 2450m but when i swap the new cpu in ... the computer turns on but the screen is black  ....im running latest bios(v 1.08)...with the old cpu laptop turns ok without a problem?

Answers

• Hi,
    I can think of one reason, it could be a faulty CPU and DOA, check the CPU for any damaged pins.
  • fifauefa
    fifauefa Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi,
    I can think of one reason, it could be a faulty CPU and DOA, check the CPU for any damaged pins.
    Hi,
    i have checked the pins on the cpu and they are all ok 
  • I still believe it's faulty because others have got this CPU working in this model.
  • fifauefa
    fifauefa Member Posts: 4 New User
    I still believe it's faulty because others have got this CPU working in this model.
    hmm ok ....i will try putting in a different laptop that supports it to vertify for sure.....
  • Yes, it is better to check in another laptop, according to manual this model supports up to i3-2350m but some have installed i5-2450m without any issues.
    Acer Aspire 5349 | CPU Upgrade — Acer Community
  • Nairod33
    Nairod33 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Is it better to use i7 or i5 on an acer 5349 ? If any which i7 or i5 kind should I use ?
    and what is the highest ddr3 frequency if i want to upgrade it ? (using 1067 Mhz)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    There isn't a lot of difference between the 2nd gen i5 and i7 processors when talking about the 35W TDP M series chips. The i7 CPUs with four cores/eight threads all require more power, so need more cooling than your laptop will provide. You should be able to use the i7-2640M or the i5-2540M but unless they are at the same price I'd go with what's cheaper. Stock memory, as you have seen, is the 1066MHz DDR3 though specs say you can use 1333MHz (and 800MHz) timing as well. Be sure to replace both sticks with the same speed or else it will all run at the slower speed. You should populate in pair to get advantage of the dual channel mode. Maximum per slot is 4GB, so 8GB max for the system.
    If you haven't already, be sure to upgrade from a HDD to a SSD. That will give more improvement for your funds than anything else you can do.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.