Fingerprint sensor not working Aspire 7

Prathik
Prathik Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 2020 in Aspire Laptops
I recently purchased Acer Aspire 7 two months ago, the fingerprint sensor is not recognizing my finger when it is locked due to inactivity, it just stays blank and asks to enter PIN after sometime

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,767 Trailblazer
    Open ControlPanel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable'. Please post screenshot of result if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Prathik

Tinkerer

Please find the screenshot for the above
  • JackE
    Open DeviceManager. Click biometric folder. Right click fingerprint reader. Click properties. Click power management tab. Uncheck box to allow computer to turn it off. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Prathik

Tinkerer

Did that, still after sometime when the device locks I am unable to unlock with fingerprint, after multiple tries it asks to enter pin
  • JackE
    Did you shut down? Then restart Windows? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Prathik

Tinkerer

Yes restarted the windows, still facing problem sometimes
  • JackE
    Uncheck fast startup. Then shutdown Windows normally. Then turn the machine back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Prathik

Tinkerer

done that too, still facing issue sometimes. Why does it not work suddenly when it sleeps??? this is weird
  • JackE
    It's probably not a hardware issue but either a Windows software or BIOS firmware issue that may be addressed with an update. What is your full Aspire7 model number a715-XXY or A717-XXY??? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Prathik

Tinkerer

It is A715-75G
  • JackE
    Go back to DeviceManager biometric folder. Right click on the fingerprint driver and uninstall it. Exit DeviceManager without trying to re-install anything. Shut down Windows normally. Then re-start the machine. If issue persist download and install this driver instead  https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/Fingerprint/Fingerprint_ELANTECH_3.6.11001.10301_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=637236604107337854&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE A715-75G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6      Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Prathik

Tinkerer

tried that all, still no luck
  • JackE
    >>>> I recently purchased Acer Aspire 7 two months ago, the fingerprint sensor is not recognizing my finger when it is locked due to inactivity,>>>

I think this is a software problem, not hardware. The Windows power options apps still have bugs. If you want the inactivity lock but still insist on using the fingerprint unlock instead of a pin, then the only thing I can suggest at this point is to back up your drive and then reset the laptop to a factory fresh state using the ALT+F10 cold boot erase-everything method. Then immediately set ControlPanel's restore point app with SystemProtection turned on so that whatever software or Windows update is causing this issue to be identified and temporarily blocked. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• adityachk2002
    adityachk2002 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Prathik said:
    I recently purchased Acer Aspire 7 two months ago, the fingerprint sensor is not recognizing my finger when it is locked due to inactivity, it just stays blank and asks to enter PIN after sometime
    Same problem. did the issue get resolved? Can someone help me?
  • reputationabhi
    reputationabhi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Uninstall the fingerprint driver from your system first then go through the below-mentioned link update the chipset driver then updated the fingerprint driver and restart the system one by one. The link provided for Acer Aspire A715-75G. Worked for me.