Aspire TC-885-UA92 turns itself off

SMPTX
SMPTX Member Posts: 6 New User
I just purchased a brand new Acer Aspire TC-885-UA92 desktop PC two weeks ago.  Thought it was great at first, but now not so sure. 

It turns itself off (powers off) after it has been in sleep mode for a while.  When I first go to my desk in the morning, I find the PC off, even though I left it running the night before.  Also, if I'm away from my desk for a while during the day, I have found it off a couple of times when I return to my desk later.  (Not sure if it went to sleep first or not, as I wasn't there when it happened.)

I originally set it to go to sleep after 30 minutes, and several hours later, would find it off.  I now have it set to never go to sleep, and so far, it has not happened again.

I tried researching this issue online, but only found posts related to Acer laptops and hibernation problems.  I didn't see anything about this happening in Acer desktops.  

Is this normal, or should I be concerned?  Although I like the machine otherwise, if this is a serious problem, I'd like to return it while I'm still within the 30-day return window.  

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Dear SMPTX,

Last night I powered down the PC manually to sleep mode. The button light stayed on constantly after that. This morning the power button light became flashing. I turned on the monitors from the strip bar and then the PC woke up automatically without pressing the power button by me.

So, my situation is different from yours. Whether your PC is defective or not is hard to tell, because I have heard from other people that their PCs will change from Sleep Mode to Shutdown mode after a period of time more than a few hours.
    At least this happened to one of my old PCs.

It is your choice whether to return it. Apparently not a serious problem, but may not be the way you want it to be.

Answers

• ttttt
    I presume you know how to wake up the PC from sleep mode, and no power outage happened during "Sleeping" stage.
  • SMPTX
    Yes, correct.

• ttttt
    I have a TC-885-UA91. I am going to put my PC in sleep mode now for a few hours and see if I have the same problem.
    I never put my PC in sleep mode as the power is plugged to a strip bar, don't want to keep the strip bar on all the time, that's not environmental friendly.
  • SMPTX
    Okay, thanks - looking forward to hearing if you have the same issue.  
  • ttttt
    Oops ! Got to change sleep mode from "Never" to 2 minutes.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Yeah, all those settings are in the power options. In the second level of Advanced settings there's usually more detail about sleep and hibernate...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SMPTX
    edited September 2020
    Billsey, I thought it might be related to hibernation, but because this is a desktop, not a laptop, it does not have hibernation options, only sleep settings, unless I'm looking in the wrong place.  (And the related power mode settings only address when display turns off and when system goes to sleep.)
  • SMPTX
    Hmmm.  I dug around a bit more in my Power & Sleep settings, and found that there IS a hibernate option for this PC, although it looks like it is not enabled. 

I did NOT change any settings, just screen-printed it so I could post it here.  (see attached PDF)
  • ttttt
    Dear SMPTX,

After 2 minutes, the PC reached the sleep mode by itself.After 4 hours it is still in sleep mode with the power button light blinking slowly.
    I'll try manual sleep mode power down tonight when go to bed. Let you know tomorrow.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    Dear SMPTX,

Last night I powered down the PC manually to sleep mode. The button light stayed on constantly after that. This morning the power button light became flashing. I turned on the monitors from the strip bar and then the PC woke up automatically without pressing the power button by me.

So, my situation is different from yours. Whether your PC is defective or not is hard to tell, because I have heard from other people that their PCs will change from Sleep Mode to Shutdown mode after a period of time more than a few hours.
    At least this happened to one of my old PCs.

It is your choice whether to return it. Apparently not a serious problem, but may not be the way you want it to be.
  • SMPTX
    Thanks for checking this out on your system for me.  I've found a few other posts with similar questions, and it doesn't look like anyone has identified any serious underlying problems.  I will continue to play around with options for sleep and hibernation to get the behavior I want.   
  • DC22
    DC22 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I need to jiggle the mouse around to wake it up after a couple hours. After letting it sleep overnight I tap the power button and it turns in about 5 seconds. If I have it off and boot it up it takes about 10 seconds to get to the password screen.
  • dweaver
    dweaver Member Posts: 1 New User
    My TC-885 shuts down and restarts at any time even when I am using it.  There is no reason for it to do this!  HELP!
  • ttttt
    @dweaver
    Can you start a new thread? @SMPTX's case is the PC turn off itself after sleep mode. Also, please give the full model number and how frequent the self-restarts occur?