Spin 5 Stylus Tip Replaceable? SP513-54N

Slakey
Slakey Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
Just bought a Spin 5 SP513-54N. Super great so far except for one issue. The stylus tip has a some casting flash that look like tiny hairs molded into it. Hard to describe, but the tip is not smooth and rounded and the flash interferes with smooth operation. Is the stylus tip replaceable and where do I find replacement tips? Thanks! 

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,051 Trailblazer
    Hello,
    You didn't find replacement tips in the stylus package?
    France
  • Slakey
    No. I am referring to the Acer factory stylus that comes docked into the Acer Spin 5 SP513-54N laptop. There were no replacement tips included with the laptop. The docked stylus was the primary reason I purchased the Spin 5. Photo of the casting flash on the tip here. I could shave off the casting flash but would prefer a replacement tip. Are replacement tips available? 

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,051 Trailblazer
    Hello,
    Could you give me the first ten characters of the laptop serial number (S/N)?
    France
  • Slakey
    edited September 2020
    Hello,
    Could you give me the first ten characters of the laptop serial number (S/N)?

Hello. Did you find an answer to the stylus tip question? 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    I believe you need a Wacom AES compatible stylus.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Slakey
    Hey Guys. OP here. No one answered my original question from two months ago, so here it is again:

Q: Is the stylus tip replaceable, and if so, where do I find replacement tips? A: ????

An actual answer would be much obliged. Anyone, anyone?  Bueller? Acer? =)

I'll try and answer the stylus compatibility question. Acer has an Active Stylus Compatibility Chart. It lists Wacom part number NC.23811.07H as compatible with the SP513-54N, but as far as I can tell, there is no Wacom stylus pen with that part number. Not on the Wacom website. Not on the internet. Nowhere! If anyone finds it, please let us know. Maybe it's an Acer factory replacement part number? 

Can anyone from Acer help us out here? Anyone? The SP513-54N is a fantastic laptop, and the stylus is one of the main reasons I bought it. Some manufacturer support would be super! 
  • Zi7ar21
    Zi7ar21 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Someone please, I lost the tip because it came flying out when I tried trimming a casting flash, I purchased Microsoft Surface Pro 4 replacement tips and trimmed one to fit, but it just doesn't work the same...
  • Zi7ar21
    Still waiting patiently... We are willing to possibly pay for a replacement nib...
  • billsey
    Others have had success replacing with nibs off Amazon. You have to measure closely to make sure the replacement fits.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Zi7ar21
    billsey said:
    Others have had success replacing with nibs off Amazon. You have to measure closely to make sure the replacement fits.
    What nibs? Who has had success? I was able to get the Microsoft Surface nibs to fit but it's too tight and the pressure sensitivity doesn't work and it just doesn't feel right.
  • Slakey
    billsey said:
    We are looking for ACER factory replacement Spin 5 SP513-54N stylus tips. From ACER. Could somebody from ACER please answer this straightforward question from THREE MONTHS AGO? 

Wasting time and money on Amazon is not a very trailblazing answer to this straightforward question. If we remove the tip to measure it, it may get damaged or lost. That's why we are looking for, wait for it, GENUINE ACER FACTORY REPLACEMENT STYLUS TIPS FOR THE ACER SPIN 5 SP513-54N! Even if the Amazon mystery tips are the same size, there is no way to tell if they will work correctly. This is ridiculous! 
  • aurelien
    aurelien Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Have you tried contacting Acer support by email or phone.
  • billsey
    @Slakey this is a community support board. Acer doesn't monitor it from technical support, the only Acer people here are the moderators and they're concerned with things like spam posts and questions asked in the wrong area. As far as I've been able to determine Acer doesn't have part number for the pen nibs, hence the suggestion to look for a compatible one.
  • Slakey
    Thanks @Billsey. Why didn't I think about looking for replacement stylus tips when I posted this thread looking for replacement stylus tips back in August? One nebulous non-answer and an explanatory non-answer is still a non-answer. Could you at least enlighten us about where you found these others and what stylus tips they found on Amazon that worked? 

After someone asked for the first ten numbers of my laptop S/N back in August, I thought there was an Acer representative around. Please forgive me for seeking support on a support board. And @Aurilien, yes. I sent in a request to the service department as well. No response. I'll try again soon and report back with any relevant information.
  • billsey
    Yeah, the "Acer Aces" here can look stuff up in the Service Guides that aren't available in their entirety to the general public. We can do that by knowing the full model number and that's available from the first ten digits of the S/N. The issue is that Acer doesn't list replacement tips in the SG, so we rely on the other users to come up with whatever they can glean from customer support. Sometimes they sell tips, sometimes they only sell pens. What we've found is that there are really only a few different tip sizes, and if your tip is replaceable you can pop it out and measure, then hit a venue like Amazon or eBay to find a suitable replacement. I haven't tried to put together a matrix of which works with which, mostly because even though my Switch 7 has a stylus included, I never use it myself...
  • Zi7ar21
    Anyone found a specific tip that they found works with the pen? Right now I need to use it for math class (or else I have to use the fat one that doesn't have palm rejection) and I am using the Microsoft surface pen tip but it doesn't have pressure sensitivity and as a result doesn't fully detect when I lift the pen
  • Pengsp
    Pengsp Member Posts: 22 Networker
    edited December 2020
    I ordered Samsung Galaxy Note 8 & 9's tips from AliExpress and it works fine with my Switch 7, a couple of bucks only. May be you could try to get a hold of Galaxy stylus and test it out.
  • Slakey
    Samsung Note 9 tips will not work with the Spin 5 (SP513-54N-74V2). The Spin 5 uses Wacom AES technology, and Samsung uses EMR technology. Incompatible. Besides. Note 9 tips won't fit the Spin 5 pen.  0.8 mm vs. 1.2 mm diameter. They fall out even if cut to length. See photo. Spin 5 pen and tip left. Note 9 pen and tip right.  

Update on the Spin 5 replacement pen tip search. No luck. I tried a few different tips from Amazon and can confirm the following Wacom AES compatible tip sets DO NOT FIT or work with the Spin 5 stylus. Don't order them. They won't work. They don't fit. 

DO NOT FIT SPIN 5 
    Wacom Standard Nibs
    Pen Nibs Standard Fit for Wacom Bamboo
    Lenovo Pen Tip Kit

The problem is measurement — sellers list package size, not product size. The Lenovo tips looked right with the stepped diameter shaft but did not fit. Too small. Fall right out. I have no more time and money to waste trying random pen tips. If anyone finds replacement tips that work with the Spin 5 pen, let us know! 

I also called Acer Customer Service. They do not sell the Spin 5 pen tips separately. An email to an Acer recommended parts supplier about Spin 5 pen tips has so far gone unanswered. That's all for now. Happy New Year!

• Batamtig
    Batamtig Member Posts: 3 New User
    I've been able to switch out my stylus nib with the Wacom Bamboo Ink (*not* Ink Plus) nib.  The Bamboo Ink nib is compatible, but not as good as the original, which has more of a "draggy"  feel, making it feel more like physical writing.
  • Slakey
    edited January 2021
    I can confirm the Wacom Bamboo Ink 1st and 2nd Generation stylus work perfectly with my Spin 5 (SP513-54N-74V2), and the nibs fit the Acer factory stylus! 1st generation uses Bluetooth. 2nd does not. I did NOT test the newer Bamboo Ink Plus, and it uses different nibs. 

I purchased both Bamboo Ink stylus on eBay open box. Less than $30 for each open box. The nib sets run $7-10. Soft, medium, hard tips in each set. The tips work in both Bamboo Ink pens and the factory stylus. Part numbers below. Happy New Year! 
    • Bamboo Ink 3-Nib Set ACK42416
    • 1st Gen Stylus and nib set package CS321AK1
    • 2nd Gen Stylus CS323AG0