I set an admin password in the BIOS, now F2 no longer works SF314-42

rlycaffeinated
rlycaffeinated Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I set an admin password in the BIOS, on reboot (save and exit) I was able to enter the BIOS using that password (one time only). I changed some secure boot settings, and now upon subsequent reboots pressing F2 does nothing and I receive no password prompt. Pressing F2 either makes the Acer logo flicker and then proceed to attempt booting, or the laptop hangs at the logo indefinitely. The boot menu works, oddly enough.

I have only had this laptop for around a month, please tell me that I don't need to send it in already just to reset the BIOS :(

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    Which OS is on it? Most of the time EFI gives enough time for F2 to launch the BIOS.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rlycaffeinated
    rlycaffeinated Member Posts: 2 New User
    F2 wasn't available at all. I think this was some kind of BIOS bug. I was able to boot into a Fedora Live USB (Fedora has signed Secure Boot modules), then use that live instance to back up all my data to an external USB hard drive. Once that was done I deleted the uefi partition and rebooted. Only when the BIOS did not detect a boot device would it let me use F2 again. Once I could get into the BIOS I was able to reset the secure boot settings to factory defaults.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    edited August 2020
    I set an admin password in the BIOS, on reboot (save and exit) I was able to enter the BIOS using that password (one time only). I changed some secure boot settings, and now upon subsequent reboots pressing F2 does nothing and I receive no password prompt. Pressing F2 either makes the Acer logo flicker and then proceed to attempt booting, or the laptop hangs at the logo indefinitely. The boot menu works, oddly enough.

I have only had this laptop for around a month, please tell me that I don't need to send it in already just to reset the BIOS :(

Try to get into BIOS by pressing F12 or take out your “CMOS Battery” and wait for two minutes before putting it back, which will/can reset the BIOS to defaults and allow you to access it again during startup and pressing F2.

If all the above don't work then use this guide “Boot From a USB Drive Even if your BIOS Won’t Let You” from here https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16822/boot-from-a-usb-drive-even-if-your-bios-wont-let-you/ and then use your ‘Windows 10 installation USB” and boot from the USB to repair your computer by clicking on > Repair your computer > Advanced Options > UEFI Firmware Settings and undo the password in the BIOS and reboot. Passwords in BIOS get corrupted and can be a cause of very serious problems as users can’t recover these passwords. The best way is use the other security measures that are provided in the operating system which are adequate and safe.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    F2 wasn't available at all. I think this was some kind of BIOS bug. I was able to boot into a Fedora Live USB (Fedora has signed Secure Boot modules), then use that live instance to back up all my data to an external USB hard drive. Once that was done I deleted the uefi partition and rebooted. Only when the BIOS did not detect a boot device would it let me use F2 again. Once I could get into the BIOS I was able to reset the secure boot settings to factory defaults.
    Yeah, it seems some of the Linux distributions do something to the EFI partition when they initially set things up that no longer allows any time for the F2. It can be a real pain...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Yamash1taRen
    Yamash1taRen Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2020
    Thanks ! Acer Aspire A515-44 here.
    I got the same issue, laptop was 2 days old, I thought I was good for hours of hell with the support or sending back the laptop...

Now, whould it be possible for Acer to fix their UEFI firmware ?
    There are multiple bugs...
    1) Firmware ignore settings from `efibootmgr` https://github.com/rhboot/efibootmgr
    2) Secure Boot must be enabled to add boot entries to the UEFI firmware : https://github.com/rhboot/efibootmgr/issues/19#issuecomment-213658804
    3) If you enable the password (which is required to enable/disable Secure Boot), you cannot access the UEFI firmware anymore. As rlycaffeinated found out, workaround is to backup the ESP, delete the ESP, disable the password from the UEFI firmware, restore the ESP. This is very user-unfriendly and a serious security issue.
  • JeffJ
    JeffJ Member Posts: 1 New User
    Thanks ! Acer Aspire A515-44 here.
    I got the same issue, laptop was 2 days old, I thought I was good for hours of hell with the support or sending back the laptop...

Now, whould it be possible for Acer to fix their UEFI firmware ?
    There are multiple bugs...
    1) Firmware ignore settings from `efibootmgr` https://github.com/rhboot/efibootmgr
    2) Secure Boot must be enabled to add boot entries to the UEFI firmware : https://github.com/rhboot/efibootmgr/issues/19#issuecomment-213658804
    3) If you enable the password (which is required to enable/disable Secure Boot), you cannot access the UEFI firmware anymore. As rlycaffeinated found out, workaround is to backup the ESP, delete the ESP, disable the password from the UEFI firmware, restore the ESP. This is very user-unfriendly and a serious security issue.

I have the same problem with the A515-44-R2SA.  Likewise 2 days.
    I added a second drive to install Gentoo Linux using efibootmgr.
    I was able to add entries with efibootmgr with this command:
    efibootmgr -c -d /dev/nvme0n1 -p 1 -L "Gentoo Current"  -l '\EFI\Gentoo\bzImage-current.efi'
    F12 works because I enabled the F12 menu before messing with it, yea.
    F2 doesn't do anything.  Trying to get into the EFI from windows, reboots and hangs with a green acer logo.

Great, looks like getting rid of Windows won't help.  Having to press F12 very quickly every time I boot is crazy.  I wonder if replacing the fallback entry with a linux kernel will work.