Upgrading CPU cooler - Orion 3000

drpdrp
drpdrp Member Posts: 40 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited October 2020 in Predator Desktops
I have an Orion 3000 with the i7 9700 and 2060s and was wondering if I am able to upgrade the stock cooler and what the TDP of the cooler i buy should be? also is the GPU inside of the PC a mini? I only see 1 fan on it and the temps are above what i see on other cards. 100% fan speed at 75 degrees.

Answers

• drpdrp
    Also could someone leave a link to a cooler that would work with the motherboard and the Cpu? I would greatly appreciate it.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Your i7-9700 is a 65W chip, so TDP of the cooler should match or exceed 65W. You could actually upgrade the CPU to an i9-9900 without changing the cooling. Either an i7-9700K or i9-9900K means you have to do a cooling upgrade, they are both 95W chips, so require TDP of 95W or greater.
    Which PO 3000 do you have? There are several models and the cards are different on some... The model number should be something like PO3-600_RGB-xxxx.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • drpdrp
    billsey said:
    Your i7-9700 is a 65W chip, so TDP of the cooler should match or exceed 65W. You could actually upgrade the CPU to an i9-9900 without changing the cooling. Either an i7-9700K or i9-9900K means you have to do a cooling upgrade, they are both 95W chips, so require TDP of 95W or greater.
    Which PO 3000 do you have? There are several models and the cards are different on some... The model number should be something like PO3-600_RGB-xxxx.
    Its an Orion 6000-300. It seems to have some kind of plate covering the graphics card. What is that for exactly?
  • billsey
    If you are asking about that plastic gizmo that sits on top of the GPU card, it's just a holder to keep things from vibrating.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • USERNAMEUSSR
    USERNAMEUSSR Member Posts: 7 New User
    I was wondering wether you upgraded your CPU cooling fan?

I have run into some massive heat spikes on CPU only, GPU is fine between 40-70 max.

But CPU have spiked to 100 Celcius, which is too much! And playing CSGO puts it about 80-88 ish. Still too much. It used to be 60.
  • drpdrp
    I was wondering wether you upgraded your CPU cooling fan?

I have run into some massive heat spikes on CPU only, GPU is fine between 40-70 max.

But CPU have spiked to 100 Celcius, which is too much! And playing CSGO puts it about 80-88 ish. Still too much. It used to be 60.
    What cpu do you have? I never ended up upgrading mine because the temps are actually reasonable and rarely spike past 90 degrees. I would say repaste first, see what your temps are like and then consider buying a new cooler.
  • USERNAMEUSSR
    USERNAMEUSSR Member Posts: 7 New User
    I  have the I7-8700, 16 g. ram., Nvidia 2070 RTX 8 g. v. ram, 256 SSD and a 1 T HDD. Thanks!
  • drpdrp
    I  have the I7-8700, 16 g. ram., Nvidia 2070 RTX 8 g. v. ram, 256 SSD and a 1 T HDD. Thanks!
    I would definitely repaste and if that doesn't fix it than replace your cooler. The hottest my 9700 gets is 78c under a stress test and occasional spikes up to 90 degrees but that's normal as long as it doesn't stay there.
  • f7ost
    f7ost Member Posts: 11 New User
    any idea how to replace the cpu cooler on the PO3-620? I dont think removing the motherboard is possible so i think only "some" aftermarket coolers will work. If anyone has an idea which coolers fit the PO3 620 please do let me know :)
  • billsey
    Removing the MB shouldn't be any harder on the -620 as it is on the -600.