core clock recently dropped down predator helios 300 2019 the model is PH315-52

Options
DarkKnight
DarkKnight Member Posts: 4 New User
edited April 2022 in Projectors
i have this predator helios 300 2019 the model is  PH315-52 the laptop comes with a i7 9750h cpu and a nvidia gtx 1660 ti gpu
so i've been playing on this laptop for more than a year now and everything was working just fine until recently i decided that i want to overclock the gpu to 1600MHz which i just knew that can't be done however i was keeping an eye on temp for the gpu and cpu and the cpu was reaching 92C and the gpu was reaching 80C and sometimes it would go to 87C so i figured maybe i should repaste the stock thermal paste with a new one from thermalgrizzly and that should solve the problem... so i did repaste it and the results are the temp for both the cpu and gpu are always under 80C with an avg of 75C
however one thing i noticed is that the main gpu core clock isnt anywhere near the base frequency clock it should reach, i mean when i'm not running any game the core clock for the integrated gpu is somewhere between 350Mhz and 1100Mhz and the core clock for the Nvidia Gpu is set on 300 Mhz and not moving at all, i searched for my problem and what most people said that the core clock for nvidia should rise up as soon as you run any game which didnt happen for me so when i run any game at all the core clock for the nvidia gpu is still set on 300MHz and only the integrated gpu is working with a core clock of 1100MHz, now one funny thing that i noticed yesterday is that while i'm not running the game the nvidia gpu core clock was set on 1455MHz which is cool so when i tried to run any game the core clock for nvidia gpu would again drop down to 300MHz and intel core clock would be activated with a 1100MHz core clock another thing that i noticed is that the voltage for the gpu is always set on 612Vm which is below the required voltage of 700 for the card to work ... this problem had only appeared 2 days ago i was playing at the night and everything was working fine without any overclocking i went to sleep while the laptop is still on downloading some game when i woke up the laptop was off and when i opened it this is what happened to me so any help would be appreciated and thank you..

here's a list of solutions that i have tried..
update bios to the latest version..
delete the latest nvidia drivers and try the ones from acer and the opposite
delete the latest intel graphics drivers and download the ones from acer and the opposite
set the global settings from nvidia control panel on high performance processor nvidia
set power management mode from nvidia control panel to prefer maximum performance
disable game mode from windows 10
turn on hardware accelerated gpu scheduling and  off
put a game on nvidia graphics performance preference from graphics settings on windows

{ edited the title to add model name } 

Answers

• DaniV20
    DaniV20 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Did you ever fix it? I have this exact issue and have also tried what you have at some point.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hey "DarkKnight" this is just my opinion as Acer and NVIDIA does not recommend to overclock their gpu's on laptops with any 3rd party software as the gpu’s MHz/fps is set to run as required and automatically by the games/software that you are playing or running. Modifying and mucking around with MHz/fps settings and overclocking your gpu will damage your gpu beyond repair and could damage the laptop, just remember the saying ‘if it isn’t broke don’t fix it”!

The NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Global Settings has only one superior and increased performance settings which is recommended by NVIDIA and that is the High performance NVIDIA processor setting and the other recommended setting is to go to this game and set the Program Settings section to the High performance NVIDIA processor to this particular game or any other game(s) that you have installed onto your laptop as that will make the NVIDIA GTX-1650Ti gpu work at its highest settings and set it automatically to whatever MHz is required by this game to perform at its best settings. Also you can use the GeForce Experience as NVIDIA has automatic and best and superior settings for many games that you can apply to your GTX-1650T to perform at its max.