Aspire XC-886 F2 function key

Options
DavidChan
DavidChan Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
I use an Acer desktop computer with the the Acer wireless keyboard.
I find that the F2 key has to be pressed together with the Fn key to edit a selected item, while pressing the F2 key alone will lock up the screen. This is very inconvenient, especially in MS Excel where you have to edit the content of the cell very often.
Is there any way to change how F2 function key work?

Thread edited to add Model number to the title

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    what is the exact model? Example an515-52-58vh. Also, is there an option called function key behavior in the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • DavidChan

Tinkerer

Options
    My desktop computer is Aspire XC-886, the BIOS version is R02-A2. There is no Function Key Behavior in the BIOS.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    can you upload a photo from your keyboard?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • DavidChan

Tinkerer

Options
    I don't think it is keyboard fault. The keyboard is standard Acer keyboard. The computer is using UEFI, not legacy BIOS; yet I cannot enter UEFI setting. I already reported to Acer Service Center one week ago and am still waiting to hear from them. Any Aspire computer users encounter the same problem?
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @DavidChan

Doesn't hurt to switch the keyboard and try. Acer's keyboards are not good.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    A lot of the newer keyboards use the keys on the top row as media keys first, and require a press of the Fn key in concert with the F# key to get function key behavior. For those you need to be hitting Fn-F2 to get the normal F2 response.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DavidChan

Tinkerer

Options
    @billsey
    You understand what my problem is. You also described the use of Fn and F# keys correctly.
     Are all the keyboard programmed this way with regard to Fn and F# keys?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    It's model and locale specific. Most of the newest systems seem to default to media keys, but not all of them...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What happens when you press fn + esc?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer