Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-749U

mantonio
mantonio Member Posts: 2 New User
I've just purchased this laptop.  
Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-749U 15.6" FHD Intel i7-10510U 12GB 512GB NVMe SSD Win10Home
I think it's a NZ\Australian model so the product number may be different elsewhere.
Basically, it has built-in 512GB SSD, but it will also take an additional 2.5" HDD. A mounting bracket is in the box.
My question: If I were to mount the additional SATA HDD, is it likely I'd be able to install Win10 Pro on that drive and have it dual boot alongside the native Win10 Home?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,397 Trailblazer
    mantonio said:
    I've just purchased this laptop.  
    Acer Aspire 5 A515-54-749U 15.6" FHD Intel i7-10510U 12GB 512GB NVMe SSD Win10Home
    I think it's a NZ\Australian model so the product number may be different elsewhere.
    Basically, it has built-in 512GB SSD, but it will also take an additional 2.5" HDD. A mounting bracket is in the box.
    My question: If I were to mount the additional SATA HDD, is it likely I'd be able to install Win10 Pro on that drive and have it dual boot alongside the native Win10 Home?

Yes you can, your Aspire 5 A515-54-749U laptop comes standard with an M.2 NVMe 512GB SSD and you can either have a dual boot on the 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD drive or on a different drive like a 2.5inch SSD or a spinner HDD. It’s a simple process but, why would you want a Win-10 Pro and Home Dual Boot on two drives? As the Win-10 OP’s are virtually the same. The “Dual Boot” feature is really advantageous if you want to keep an older OP and all its files and for older Windows e.g. 7, 8, 8.1 or if you want a completely different OP system like Linux Ubuntu or Oracle Solaris etc you can also utilise an “Oracle VM VirtualBox” for a second OP that is much simpler to setup and use.

• mantonio
    mantonio Member Posts: 2 New User
    StevenGen: Thanks very much for your detailed and helpful reply. My inquiry was partly to find out if it could be done, and not necessarily specific as to another version of Win10, like Pro. Actually, I'd probably be more interested in installing Win7 Ultimate, but Acer doesn't appear to offer drivers for W7. Do you know if such drivers are available?
  • duiganab
    duiganab Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2021
    where can i buy 2.5 inch bracket for my second hd inside my laptop aspire 5 a517-52-50pa