Unable to cleanly uninstall norton antivirus that comes pre-installed :(

kartzkartz Member Posts: 3 New User
Norton bloatware in the name of anti-virus that comes pre-installed with your laptop is one unwarranted pain. Norton is a notorious rogue software that fails to get uninstalled cleanly. Even Norton's own software (RnR.exe) meant to cleanse the system post its un-installation, fails to do what it supposed to do. I hate it when a laptop comes with a bloatware that I can't uninstall.

I appreciate your inputs on how to get rid of this bloatware so that I can install my choice of anti-virus.

FAQ & Answers

• egydiocoelhoegydiocoelho ACE Posts: 63,742 Trailblazer
    Press windows + r and type msconfig. Go to services, hide microsoft services and check if there are any norton services disabled. If it is disabled, activate it and then restart windows. Then uninstall norton antivirus.

Also check if there are any norton services here:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • kartzkartz Member Posts: 3 New User
    egydiocoelho Thanks for your inputs. Those areas look clean on my laptop.
  • kartzkartz Member Posts: 3 New User
    @egydiocoelho I do see "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AV\Norton Security Ultra\" directory having "Upgrade.exe". When I try to delete this folder, I get an error mesage saying that it is used by another program. :(
    Does the norton icon appear here?

If it appears, click on exit or disable norton.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • xapimxapim ACE Posts: 6,020 Pathfinder
    edited August 22
    kartz forget norton antivirus its complete bloatware/rubbish as you say and very very well  if youre just a normal user defender and common sense its enough but if you need more try nod32+superantispyware thats the best combo i have been using for so many years and to completely uninstall any software properly use youruninstaller or similar to completely remove everything even unused reg keys windows uninstaller leaves traces and leftovers of everything and may cause serious registry issues in the future also search for the upgrade.exe on the task manager details tab and kill the process good luck :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1969145569968592/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

Can you send some screenshots of the files that are available on the usb stick (erecovery)?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer