Can see my HDD in Windows, but not from Linux live boot Acer Aspire A315-56

Options
arkajyotibanerjee
arkajyotibanerjee Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2021 in Aspire Laptops

I've just gotten a new laptop (Acer Aspire A315-56), where I can't see my HDD from a Linux live boot. When I'm opening GParted, it's only showing one disk and it's the USB Drive from where I've live booted it. My laptop came preinstalled with Windows 10 Home.

I've looked up Ask Ubuntu and similar forums, and according to the suggestions, I've tried out the following:

Set the SATA Mode to "AHCI" from "Optane without RAID"

Disabled Fast Boot from BIOS

Disabled Secure Boot

Disabled Fast Startup and Hibernate from Windows 10 Power Options

Unfortunately, none of those turned out to work for me.

As I'm not able to see the HDD from Linux, I'm not able to install it. Can anyone help me out with making the HDD visible from Linux? Using a Virtual Machine isn't really a solution.

Also, I've checked that upon hitting sudo lshw in the terminal, the SATA Controller shows up there. So, the SATA controller's driver is in the kernel.

I'm live booting Ubuntu, if that helps.

Answers

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    In Ubuntu, have you run Gparted?  Can Gparted sees your HDD?

Also try to show hidden icons.  

That's all I can think of now.

• ajaypathak
    ajaypathak Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options
    So here is a Solution which worked for me. I downloaded old Windows 10 ISO from official windows website. Version 1507 to be precise.

I reinstalled the Windows in AHCI mode. After Installing windows and after first boot, I instantly went to Install Linux (Manjaro Linux). Instead of Dual Booting I installed Manjaro on the whole hard disk.
    In case you dont want to reinstall, Add nvme ssd, Linux detects it easily.

• jholt5638
    jholt5638 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Its not really a solution more of a workaround, put the laptop to sleep and wake it backup and the SATA drive will appear.

If your kernel has the debugging enabled for power management you add test_suspend=mem and suspend.pm_test_delay=2 to the boot time options. unfortunately most kernels are released without them compiled in.

The main thing is after getting the OS installed, you have to wait for the kernel to start booting shut the lid or use the keyboard shortcut to put it to sleep wait a second wake it up and let the computer finish booting, or compile a custom kernel and enable the power management debugging and suspend test options in the config.

• Tenuka_Omaljith
    Tenuka_Omaljith Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

After You Boot Into the Live Boot Sleep Your PC. After That You Should be able to See The HDD