Broken laptop screen connect to TV

Options
Reeko1971
Reeko1971 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have a broken screen on an Aspire 5733 laptop. I have tried a vga to hdmi cable to a Sony TV, presser fn F5 - but it doesn’t work. What other ways can I connect it?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,473 Trailblazer
    Options
    Remember that a VGA to HDMI cable is not the same as a HDMI to VGA cable. Are you sure yours is in the right direction?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Reeko1971
    Options
    the laptop doesn’t have a HDMI connection only the VGA - so I put the HDMI part to the TV and the bit with the holes in it to the laptop. Is this not right?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 32,473 Trailblazer
    edited August 2020
    Options
    There are two types of those adapters. One goes from VGA on the laptop to HDMI on the monitor. It's described as a VGA to HDMI. The other goes from HDMI on the computer to VGA on the monitor and it's described as HDMI to VGA. The one you want, I believe, is the VGA to HDMI, similar to this one.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Reeko1971
    Options
    Thanks that is the cable I already have and I can’t seem to get it to work. Once connected how do I make it work. My laptop screen doesn’t work at all
  • ShaggyMoose
    ShaggyMoose Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Going to be difficult given you can't see the display settings. I would try VGA to VGA first on another device to rule out cable issues.