Possible to upgrade the wifi/bluetooth card on SP315-51

Options
OGScoops
OGScoops Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have owned this laptop ( Acer Spin 3 SP315-51-757C ) for almost 4 years, but it has come to face some wear such as the HDD not holding up, so i had to upgrade that to an SSD. The touch screen has kinda glitch to have ghost touches, so i just disabled it. Now I'm seeing if it is possible to upgrade the wifi card on this laptop. Since i have gigabit internet, want to see if it is a possible upgrade. I know that this laptop has a Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377, I've been searching for a replacement if possible but i dont know much about the specs to make a proper decision and would like some help figuring it out.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,000 Trailblazer
    edited August 2020
    Options

First, what is wrong with your existing Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377? I ask this because, when you go to the Acer site of the Spin 3 SP315-51 the only driver that they suggest is for an Atheros QCA9377 WiFi/BT card, usually models use other cards like Broadcom or Intel alternatives (the newer Acer laptops use Killer also) that you could replace the card with.

The Atheros QCA9377 is a PCIe Half Mini network (WLAN) and Bluetooth combination supports 1 × 1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN standards and Bluetooth 5.0 + HS, this card has a  PCIe Half Mini and you can’t change that as that is the WiFi/BT slot and key for your laptop and the newer laptops with higher spec WiFi/BT cards have different slots/key for their WiFi/BT! Stick with this card and update its drivers to the latest Win-10 from here:

1. For WiFi Win-10 use this driver, file name “win1064-12.0.0.916-whql.zip”  https://www.ath-drivers.eu/download-driver-nr-368-for-atheros-QCA9377-and-Windows10.html
    2. For BT Win-10 use this driver, filename: bt-10.0.0.714-win10.zip https://www.ath-drivers.eu/download-driver-nr-353-for-atheros-QCA9377-and-Windows10.html

Note: that the slots and keys for WiFi/BT cards are: Mini PCIe or PCIe Full Mini or PCIe Half Mini or ngff m.2)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    As Steven sad, your card is Atheros based. Acer purchased them from two different manufacturers, FoxConn and Liteon. The Acer part numbers are: KE.11A0F.001 and KE.11A0L.001. Here's a picture pulled off eBay of one of them:
    Anything with the same form factor and interface should work. As you can see it has two antennas. It supports 802.11ac so really the only upgrade would be to move to a WiFi 6 card, 802.11ax.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.