Permanently disable keyboard backlight

MattMB
MattMB Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited August 2020 in Nitro Gaming
I posted this question over in the Predator forum but have not resolved and need to purchase this week so please excuse if this is a repeat in this forum...

I am looking to purchase an Acer (Predator or Nitro) but I want to check to be sure I can permanently disable the keyboard back lighting rather than having to do it every time I boot. I do see an article on how to turn the back light off (Fn-F9....) but do you have to do that every time the laptop boots or if you do it once is does it stick so the lights are always off in the future (well until you turn then back on if you want)?

I want the back lighted keyboard to be off all the time.

I have got conflicting info so I am wondering if anyone who has one of these can answer definitively yes or no -- can I turn off the back light and set it to stay off all the time?

On the you can't do that side...
I have seen a few post that suggest that that can not be done... that you can turn it off using the Function keys but then have to turn it off every time you restart or come out of sleep. Here is one of the posts from Acer's forum. (It is for a Nitro 5 and it says the keyboard back light returns to its default after sleep or shutdown)

On the you can do it side...
I chatted with Acer:
I explained that I want it permanent and showed the link above that suggested it would return to default but they said...
-Yes you will be able to Disable the option for the back light
I questioned it to be sure, asked if it could be done in BIOS, and they said they checked and said…
-I spoke with a rep and [he/she] show[ed] me a picture where [it] said disable

Can anyone with either of these Acer's let me know if you can or can not permanently set the keyboard back light to off?

Thank you

Answers

• It would be interesting for you to inform the exact model you are purchasing. Example: an515-51-75kz.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MattMB

Tinkerer

Hi --
    I have not chosen a model yet -- I like both Predator and Nitro. Here are some Nitros and Predators I am looking at:
    AN515-54-728C, AN515-54-728C
    PH315-52-710B (Thsi is the main one I'd like), PH315-53-72XD

• Some models have this function in the bios:
    Acer Nitro AN515-54 - Keyboard backlight  Acer Community
    It is a feature that turns off the keyboard light every thirty seconds, even when the power adapter is connected.
    Now, why do you want to completely disable the backlit keyboard?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    edited August 2020
    You can`t disable it in BIOS but you can  lower it to 0 (disabled) with the Fn + F9.
    Check the article below:

The Predator PH315-52 comes with a keyboard that has blue LED backlighting. There is not a way to change the color of the keyboard backlighting. Use the instructions below to adjust your backlight to your desired settings.

• Turn off the keyboard backlight:
      Hold the Fn key, and press the F9 key four times to turn the backlight off. Your keyboard backlight should dim each time you press the F9 key while holding FN.
    • Increase backlight brightness:
      Hold the Fn key, and press the F10 key to dim the backlight. Your keyboard backlight should brighten each time you press the F10 key while holding FN.
    • Decrease backlight brightness:
      Hold the Fn key, and press the F9 key to dim the backlight. Your keyboard backlight should dim each time you press the F10 key while holding FN.
    • Turn backlight off after 30 seconds:
      Press the Predator key above the number pad, then click the Settings icon. Move the toggle for "Backlight off after 30 seconds" to the off position.

Note: The F9 and F10 keys are on the top row of the keyboard, and are labeled with the icons  and .

https://my.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63051/~/change-keyboard-backlight-settings-on-the-predator-helios-ph315-52

Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• MattMB

Tinkerer

Thanks for the above replies...

batmalin said: "...can  lower it to 0 (disabled) with the Fn + F9"
    Yes I see I can do it with Fn keys but the question I wonder is will it stick or do I have to do it every time I come out of sleep or restart?

egydiocoelho: Thanks for the screen shot -- having the timer will at least be something that could work.
    You asked: "why do you want to completely disable the backlit keyboard"
    The reason is that I would like to be able to set the RGB colors to off (say using the function keys like batmalin said) and then have it remember my setting. I'm just hoping to avoid having to do it every time I come out of sleep or restart.

Thanks to all for your answers and info.
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    It should stay off, like the sound volume for example.
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• yanwoo
    yanwoo Member Posts: 4 New User

Asking this for Nitro 5 AN515-58. No setting either in BIOS 😓.