My Acer Aspire V3-571G has Power indicator on only and no Display

German3
German3 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,

I have a problem with my old laptop. I recently just changed the thermal paste of the processor and gpu. After successfully reapplying, I was still able to turn on my computer and boot normally.

The next morning, I tried to boot my laptop. When I pressed the power button, The power indicator flashes blue, butf the storage(?) indicator only flashes blue for a split second and then turns off.

EDIT:  I checked the screen, but the backlight is not on. The HDD only spun when the storage(?) indicator was on, when it was off, it also stopped spinning.

I already tried removing the battery, draining the power button, powering through AC only, but nothing really helps. Maybe I screwed up something on the motherboard?

Any help is appeciated thanks!

Here is a photo:

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Does the power LED and battery charge LED seem to stay lit when you try to turn the machine on plugged in? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• German3

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Does the power LED and battery charge LED seem to stay lit when you try to turn the machine on plugged in? Jack E/NJ
    Yep, If the battery is installed, it also lights up.
  • JackE
    Try pressing FN+F6 to toggle the screen on. If still no joy, HDMI out to a TV screen by pressing FN+F5 to toggle TV on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• German3

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Try pressing FN+F6 to toggle the screen on. If still no joy, HDMI out to a TV screen by pressing FN+F5 to toggle TV on. Jack E/NJ
    It still doesnt work. No display whatsoever.

Shouldnt be my hdd be spinning or something?

This only does this for a split second and then the storage light turns off:

I can also feel the exhaust is warm so it is poweri g it up, right?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    German3 said:
    Hello,

I have a problem with my old laptop. I recently just changed the thermal paste of the processor and gpu. After successfully reapplying, I was still able to turn on my computer and boot normally.

The next morning, I tried to boot my laptop. When I pressed the power button, The power indicator flashes blue, butf the storage(?) indicator only flashes blue for a split second and then turns off.

EDIT:  I checked the screen, but the backlight is not on. The HDD only spun when the storage(?) indicator was on, when it was off, it also stopped spinning.

I already tried removing the battery, draining the power button, powering through AC only, but nothing really helps. Maybe I screwed up something on the motherboard?

Any help is appeciated thanks!

Here is a photo:

Firstly, I’ve had extensive experience with the Aspire V3-571G for many years, I’ve modified/maintained them for years e.g. extra cooling vents in its bottom case, I’ve repasted the cpu/gpu, changed the fans and bottom case etc etc etc and pulled these laptops every piece apart and they are an excellent reliable laptop and their LED display don’t burn out even after 8 years of usage!

From what you have stated, I would firstly check the following:

1. Check the “DC Power Jack Cable Socket” at the top left corner, where the charger plug plugs into and see if this plug is not damaged and/or making contact with charger plug or at the mainboard, if its not then change that “DC Power Jack Cable Socket” (you can buy them on eBay Amazon)
    2. Check the LED screens plug that plugs into the mainboard, which is near the hinge of the top cover and the bottom case (see captions below) as this plug is for the LED screen. It’s a black type pug and that could have come apart and/or it’s not making a good connection or one of its wires have broken, hence and that is why your LED screen does not work, simple

It could be any one of these problems but and also, check all connections that you have taken apart when you removed the heatsink to repaste your cpu/gpu as that could also be a factor! Good luck and hope this helps.

Screen LED plug (left) and plug and its wires that could be damaged (right)

DC Power Jack Cable Socket
  • German3

Tinkerer

Okay, so after fiddling around, I discovered that it had nothing to do with the power connectors.

I tried putting in the RAM one by one in the each of the RAM slots. It turns out that one of my RAM slots was broken. I didn't know how that happened, but the lower RAM slot already gave up. Whenever I plug in a RAM in the lower RAM slot, the problem shows. So, now I'm back to using 4GB RAM for my PC and only using one RAM slot, the upper one :(.

Can you guys explain what could have happened to the RAM slot? I forgot which one but I think the lower RAM slot is the default one the manufacturers use and maybe it that's why it already malfunctioned after how many years of using.

• Can you send a photo of the slot?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    Yes please show a photo of broken socket if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• German3

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes please show a photo of broken socket if possible. Jack E/NJ

There's no obvious physical damage. I think it's just wear and tear
  • JackE
    edited August 2020
    Then do you mean that the machine won't start when the 'broken' socket has a RAM module installed? Is it possible two or more of the socket pins are misaligned and/or being jammed together when you insert a module? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• German3

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Then do you mean that the machine won't start when the 'broken' socket has a RAM module installed? Is it possible two or more of the socket pins are misaligned and/or being jammed together when you insert a module? Jack E/NJ

Yep, it only works fine when I dont put anything on the broken socket. It's okay tho, I'm going to build a desktop soon so this laptop can rest now.

Can I accept as answer my post about The ram being the culprit? 

• JackE
    Sure. It's your own thread to choose to accept any solution.  :)    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ