Battery for Nitro Spin 5 NP515-51 has reversed power terminals?

naanman
naanman Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I've been searching for a replacement battery for my Nitro 5 Spin, originally an AC14B7K. Note, this battery is marked negative on the right, positive on the left.

Last year Acer live chat told me some compatible battery models so I ordered one of them: KT.00407.003 which ended up being AC14B3K. This model is also listed as compatible on various battery websites.

Didn't work-- battery not detected by the laptop. BIOS updated and power reset. I noticed the positive and negative terminals are reversed on the new battery. I looked up other compatible battery models, like the AC14B8K. This one also had reversed terminals.

The AC14B7K is the only model as far as I know that has negative on the right and positive on the left. All the others are have it reversed (so the 7K is actually the reversed model). Other images of the 7K model match the right negative and left positive.

Replacements for the 7K specifically is $50+ instead of the widely available 3K and 8K models with standard terminals.

Seems all those battery websites are just copy/pastes and owned by same company.

The battery models are definitely not compatible, the Nitro Spin 5 needs the 7K model specifically, and is super scummy of Acer to make an exact same fit battery but just reverse the terminals

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    The Acer service guide shows two batteries for your Nitro, KT.0040G.006 and KT.00407.003. They both have a wiring harness that connects them to the motherboard, so it doesn't matter how the battery cells are installed in the package. It only matter that the wires are correct. Two red on one side, two black  on the other, with orange yellow green and blue in between, IIRC.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • naanman
    Right, the battery connector is rainbow colored and only fits in the motherboard one-way. Both batteries are identical here. However, the new battery is not detected by Windows and does not provide power and cannot be charged. The OS only recognizes something is plugged in but does not know what it is. Windows battery report also reports errors and cannot identify the battery. Uninstalling the ACPI power driver and hard power cycling the laptop also does not help. With the new battery and AC power connected I only get a flashing orange battery light when powered on.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    That would be the normal behavior of the battery wasn't compatible. When I look the part number up I see lots of them for sale, but the model number is AC14B8K not AC14B7K. Perhaps that is the issue?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • naanman
    edited August 2020
    The issue is that these are supposed to be compatible. The KT part numbers (from different manufacturers according to Acer, 407.003 being Samsung) give multiple model numbers such as the 3K, 7K, 8K and others. In actuality these are not compatible even though they appear identical. For the record these are the 15W 48W 4-cell batteries. The 7K from both part numbers have the negative and positive reversed, so something specifically is different with this model from the 3K and 8K