Acer Chromebook 15 CB3-532 Not Turning on Or Charging

kaliwoik9978
kaliwoik9978 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Got my Acer Chromebook 15 CB3-532 back in February. It stopped charging so I follow troubleshooting procedures. Tried plugging it in in pretty much every outlet in the house, tested the charger (charger is not the problem), rebooted, etc. And then took the battery out and replaced it. After I took the battery out, it stopped turning on completely, LED lights don't even turn on, hard reset doesn't work. I'm at a loss on what to do. If anything I'd just like to be able to factory reset. 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    Got my Acer Chromebook 15 CB3-532 back in February. It stopped charging so I follow troubleshooting procedures. Tried plugging it in in pretty much every outlet in the house, tested the charger (charger is not the problem), rebooted, etc. And then took the battery out and replaced it. After I took the battery out, it stopped turning on completely, LED lights don't even turn on, hard reset doesn't work. I'm at a loss on what to do. If anything I'd just like to be able to factory reset. 

Firstly, if you got your Chromebook 15 CB3-532 in February 2020 its still new and you should have sent it to Acer service for any problems? Why didn’t you? As opening any laptop under warranty could void the warranty!

Now that you have opened it, firstly, did you buy the correct replacement battery? Which is an 11.4V at 3720 mAh battery. Did you install this battery correctly into the Acer Chromebook 15 CB3-532 and didn’t plug its plug inappropriately or properly? Also, there could be a problem with the DC Jack at the laptop and the jack doesn’t make contact with your chargers plug. These and other variables are very important factors of a battery working and you should have sent it to Acer service for them to check and rectefy.

Check these components:

• kaliwoik9978
    StevenGen said:

Firstly, if you got your Chromebook 15 CB3-532 in February 2020 its still new and you should have sent it to Acer service for any problems? Why didn’t you? As opening any laptop under warranty could void the warranty!

Now that you have opened it, firstly, did you buy the correct replacement battery? Which is an 11.4V at 3720 mAh battery. Did you install this battery correctly into the Acer Chromebook 15 CB3-532 and didn’t plug its plug inappropriately or properly? Also, there could be a problem with the DC Jack at the laptop and the jack doesn’t make contact with your chargers plug. These and other variables are very important factors of a battery working and you should have sent it to Acer service for them to check and rectefy.

Check these components:

I DID talk to Acer Support and they never told me that opening the laptop would void the warranty. I followed the troubleshooting procedures that told me to remove and put the battery back in. It was scheduled for repair, but I was unable to send it out at the time, and am unsure if I'm still allowed to. 

Battery is the correct one and I've checked and rechecked 100 times that it was put in properly. How would I know whether the DC jack is working correctly or not?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    The warranty issue is location based, different countries have different requirements. Most allow you to open it as long as you don't do damage. You can always contact Acer again and if the old ticket has expired or just start a new one. It would be pretty uncommon for the battery to fail on such a new machine, we typically start seeing failures after four or five years. For the DC-In jack, in the picture Steven showed you can see a bit of the spring steel part that pushes the barrel of the plug to the side in order to make good contact with the outside of the barrel. The inside of the barrel has a matching center pin in the jack and again when the barrel is pushed sideways by the spring steel it causes the center electrode to push up against the inside of the barrel. Mechanically the only failure modes are when the spring steel gets bent out of the way so it doesn't push or if the center electrode gets bent or broken so it doesn't slide into the center of the barrel. In your CB3-532 the jack is soldered directly to the MB so it's unlikely to have pulled loose.
    So... What made you decide the charger was not the problem? Did you test voltage and current levels?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kaliwoik9978
    billsey said:
    The warranty issue is location based, different countries have different requirements. Most allow you to open it as long as you don't do damage. You can always contact Acer again and if the old ticket has expired or just start a new one. It would be pretty uncommon for the battery to fail on such a new machine, we typically start seeing failures after four or five years. For the DC-In jack, in the picture Steven showed you can see a bit of the spring steel part that pushes the barrel of the plug to the side in order to make good contact with the outside of the barrel. The inside of the barrel has a matching center pin in the jack and again when the barrel is pushed sideways by the spring steel it causes the center electrode to push up against the inside of the barrel. Mechanically the only failure modes are when the spring steel gets bent out of the way so it doesn't push or if the center electrode gets bent or broken so it doesn't slide into the center of the barrel. In your CB3-532 the jack is soldered directly to the MB so it's unlikely to have pulled loose.
    So... What made you decide the charger was not the problem? Did you test voltage and current levels?
    I don't have a multimeter to test the voltage. I suppose it could be the box part on the charger, but I know the part of the charger that connects the box to the outlet is working ok as I tested that part with the charger of another laptop (the box on the other charger has an led light whereas the chromebook charger doesn't) and it lit up. 

I did speak to Acer support again today and they said to just send it in as normal (prepaid shipping label expired) and they'd take a look at it so I think I may just do that instead of playing with it more and possibly worsening the problem
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Yes, that sounds like the best path to follow.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.