CPU upgradable?

WWcata
WWcata Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
My current CPU is an AMD Athlon II x4 645 and have had it for like 10 years, figured it's time to upgrade to a more modern one, main purpose is gaming. Is there anything out there that's compatible with my old one? I'm not looking for anything low budget, but not anything overly expensive either.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    This site seems to be the best for looking into that type of upgrade. Your system is by far old enough that you are better off with a full upgrade though, that processor was already close to the top of the line at the time and it's pretty much locked in with the memory type. A big bump in performance for a low price is going to be swapping the HDD for an SSD, but once you've done that isn't to easy to pull more speed out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• WWcata
    Maybe I should add that my current PC is Predator G3100
  • WWcata
    Also AM3 socket
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    This site seems to be the best for looking into that type of upgrade. Your system is by far old enough that you are better off with a full upgrade though, that processor was already close to the top of the line at the time and it's pretty much locked in with the memory type. A big bump in performance for a low price is going to be swapping the HDD for an SSD, but once you've done that isn't to easy to pull more speed out.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.