Slow internet on new aspire A315-21 caused by high CPU usage, possibly to do with installed SSD?

Options
Snaccula
Snaccula Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I got a brand new aspire a little while ago and have had slow internet since I first started using it. I have tried just about everything to fix it and nothing has helped - I ran a speedtest which said I have about 13 mbps down speed and 22 mbps up speed, so on paper it's fast, but when I actually use it can slow down to near dial-up speeds. It has something to do with the fact that my CPU usage jumps up to 100% every time I use the internet and slows my entire computer down. I do use chrome, but I don't think that's the problem as it's just as slow in other browsers, and I don't think it's malware either, or problems with the adapter or wifi card. This laptop is very similar to my previous laptop (a Dell inspiron), the only real difference being the fact that the store I bought it from gave it an authorized upgrade and installed an SSD (in addition to the 1TB HDD), which is where all the system files are stored by default. I have no idea why this would cause it to be so slow, but this is the only thing I can see that is different about my previous laptop, which had normal connection speeds.. I would really appreciate any suggestions on what might be wrong and how I could fix this? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,480 Trailblazer
    Options
    Open DeviceManager. Click network adapters folder. Right click wlan. Click properties. Click advanced tab. Click preferred band. Try 2.4GHz. If still no joy, try 5GHz band. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Snaccula
    Options
    JackE said:
    Open DeviceManager. Click network adapters folder. Right click wlan. Click properties. Click advanced tab. Click preferred band. Try 2.4GHz. If still no joy, try 5GHz band. Jack E/NJ
    I actually already tried doing this (with both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz) and restarted after, but had no change. I have a more detailed list of everything I tried in a previous post on this forum which I'll paste here: 

-Moved laptop closer to router 
    -Plugged ethernet cable in directly to laptop
    -Updated the wireless driver (got message that it's already updated to the latest version)
    -Installed newest driver for this model directly from Acer website
    -Disabled background Windows updates
    -Flushed and reset DNS
    -Changed preferred band to 5gHz (and then 2.4 gHz, then back to no preference when there was no change)
    -Set the maximum processor state to 99% (and then set it back to 100% when there was no change)
    -Turned every relevant thing off and on again  

I didn't include everything in this post as I was trying not to make it too wordy haha. Thank you for the suggestion though!
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>CPU usage jumps up to 100% every time I use the internet>>>

Did you uninstall, not just disable, all non-Microsoft antivirus? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Snaccula
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>CPU usage jumps up to 100% every time I use the internet>>>

Did you uninstall, not just disable, all non-Microsoft antivirus? Jack E/NJ

Yeah I did, I think it was mcafee that I uninstalled, I also have mcafee webadvisor on chrome that I just removed just to check, and there was no change there either - I know a lot of people have problems with mcafee but I had it as the default browser antivirus on my last laptop and it didn't cause any problems with speed... I should note as well that the cpu jumps up on/slows down all apps that use internet as well, such as spotify and steam, not just browsers 
  • JackE
    Options
    Which app or process in TaskMgr seems to be claiming the most CPU percentage? Is there one that is claiming more than 50%? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Snaccula
    Options
    It shows google chrome as the process using the most CPU when in use, usually will go to about 50-70% in total just in that one process
  • JackE
    Options
    Exit Chrome. What happens with InternetExplore or FireFox? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Snaccula
    Options
    Internet explorer uses just as much CPU, same with non-browser apps such as steam; I'm pretty sure it's not the browser that's the problem
  • JackE
    Options
    Open ControlPanel. Click programs. Go down through the list of installed programs. Check again for any installations of McAfee, Norton, MalwareBytes, AVG, Kaspersky, or any kind of non-Microsoft antivirus. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    also try to disable services and programs using msconfig and then restart windows:
    Disable Third Party Services and Programs for a Clean Boot in
    then, check if the problem still occurs!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Snaccula
    Options
    JackE it won't let me quote you for some reason, but I actually already tried doing this (with both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz) and restarted after, but had no change. I have a more detailed list of everything I tried in a previous post on this forum: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/609719/slow-internet-on-brand-new-aspire-a315-21#latest I didn't include everything in this post as I was trying not to make it too wordy haha. Thank you for the suggestion though!