s7-393 Hard Drive failure / question

heweaver
heweaver Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
So I have had my s7-393 for almost a year now...  it had the factory Kingston msata drive (two 128gb's setup as RAID in BIOS or RAID SETUP so it reads as a single 256gb drive).  So the other night I was using it as usual, and I closed it and put it in my laptop bag.  I guess a program I had open or something caused it not to hibernate as usual, and it sat zipped up in my laptop bag for over 13 hours until I got to work and pulled it out and noticed it was EXTREMELY hot, and the screen just had the NO BOOTABLE DEVICE logo.  I shut it off and let it cool down for about an hour and turned it on again, same thing.  After a little troubleshooting, it appears that one of the 128gb drives has failed.  Instead of listed two KINGSTON drives in the RAID setup, each with their own serial number, it lists just the first one.  The second one only has some random numbers for the model name and no serial number listed and the size of it is listed as 0.0gb.  So no big deal, I have another one on the way...  I ordered another Kingston (but I ordered a 240gb msata drive).  My question is, will the new drive be two 120's that I also need to setup as RAID or are the newer msata drives setup as a single drive?  IE, will I have to disable RAID setup and switch it to AHCI mode instead?  Or would I leave the BIOS set for RAID and then just not go into the actual CTRL-I raid menu to make changes there?

I guess I'll find out tomorrow when it comes in, but I just wondered if anyone else happens to know these answers before I go poking around at it.

Thanks!

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Likely you are right, unless you bought one specifically described as a double drive you should one drive. Just set the BIOS to AHCI mode and install to the new 240GB drive. It should show up in the BIOS correctly.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • heweaver
    heweaver Member Posts: 5 New User
    Yep that's just what I did. I set it to ahci and installed. It detected one drive and works great!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Sweet! Those dual drives were a nice stopgap method for getting a faster system, but were used for such a small time that it can be tough to get them figured out.
    Please mark the appropriate message as the solution so this thread will be higher on the list the next time someone is asking the same question.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.