My Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-43) High Thermal Temperature

BunE
BunE Member Posts: 110 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Over the past 6-8 months, the thermal temperature of my CPU and GPU under heavy load has increased and is fixed at 90° and 89° or (occasionally reaching 97-102°) and I'm afraid that it might be degrading the lifespan and performance of my CPU and GPU. And notice that the fans now seem to blow air much weaker through the right vent. I've considered a repaste of the CPU and GPU, I'm still under warranty, what is the best decision to make?

Note #1 - Thermals was taken 2 months ago, after playing Roblox on High performance.

Note # 2 Thermal chart isn't as long but it's a good idea of what I suffer

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    What are your laptop specs? Scale the graphics settings up or down based on your laptop hardware - this is the only way out. Some visual settings don't show any noticeable difference but use a large amount of GPU time. Also, use the fans on auto with cool boost on; fans ramp up and down automatically and there is no real need to put them on max.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • XxmatrixX
    XxmatrixX Member Posts: 64 Devotee WiFi Icon
    BunE said:
    Over the past 6-8 months, the thermal temperature of my CPU and GPU under heavy load has increased and is fixed at 90° and 89° or (occasionally reaching 97-102°) and I'm afraid that it might be degrading the lifespan and performance of my CPU and GPU. And notice that the fans now seem to blow air much weaker through the right vent. I've considered a repaste of the CPU and GPU, I'm still under warranty, what is the best decision to make?

Note #1 - Thermals was taken 2 months ago, after playing Roblox on High performance.

Hello there, can you send me the temps while normal usage?
    I'd recommend you go for a thermal repaste and op for a cooling pad too.
    The nitro 5 series has really bad thermals so best solution would be to go for a repaste as the factory supplied ones are of low quality!
  • BunE
    sri369 said:
    What are your laptop specs? Scale the graphics settings up or down based on your laptop hardware - this is the only way out. Some visual settings don't show any noticeable difference but use a large amount of GPU time. Also, use the fans on auto with cool boost on; fans ramp up and down automatically and there is no real need to put them on max.
    -AMD Ryzen 5 3550h
    -Radeon RX 560x
    -8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    -960 GB Hard Drive
  • BunE
    XxmatrixX said:
    BunE said:

The nitro 5 series has really bad thermals so best solution would be to go for a repaste as the factory supplied ones are of low quality!
    Can I get a repaste while still under warranty and can my 'warranty provider' do the repaste? also, what's the best thermal paste?
    Heres the normal usage (Power Saving Mode)

• BunE
    sri369 said:
    The problem is still persistent, I've set the fans to auto, it still sits at 91+ during heavy use. And thermal throttling occurs much more frequently. The problem may be the CPU and GPU thermal paste or possibly even the fans. But thanks for the help :))
  • XxmatrixX
    BunE said:
    XxmatrixX said:
    BunE said:

Can I get a repaste while still under warranty and can my 'warranty provider' do the repaste? also, what's the best thermal paste?

Hello, first of all check if there's a warranty void sticker on any of the screws on the back panel. If there aren't any warranty void stickers then you're safe to disassemble your laptop. As for the Thermal Paste, I suggest you go for Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste as that's the best, repaste your lap and clean the fans properly!!
  • XxmatrixX
    BunE said:
    XxmatrixX said:
    BunE said:

Another thing is I would highly recommend you to upgrade your RAM as soon as possible. On your model the usable RAM is just 6GB which is not enough for running the most AAA games right now. Just get another matching 8GB memory stick and you'll be good to go!
  • Nyxem
    Nyxem Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem, and it sucks...
    New paste, and you can use "power saving" mode, it drops down the temperature very much.. in high performance mode, the idle temperature is 69-80c⁰, which is insane...