Fan noise spin 5 SP513-54N

Options
temporary2020
temporary2020 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have new Spin 5 and the fan is almost constantly on even when just browsing or having opened word. And it is not really quiet as I can clearly hear it humming and whining over the ambient noise (and expecialy during the night). And that is on battery if I connect the power and play youtube video it ramps up so it could be heard over the video. Is it normal or do I have bad luck?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    There are a few things that affect fan noise. Firstly the fan runs at different speeds based on CPU temperature, it's designed to try and keep the CPU running in a range, so when the temp gets higher the fan spins faster and that make more noise as the air moves around. Here's the table the BIOS uses for that:
    As you can see as things get warmer the fan can speed up quite a bit. Those temperatures are in Celsius... Try running one of the CPU temp monitor apps to see where you are running. I'd expect something in the 30-50C range under light or no load, 70-90 under intense gaming. Next, anything that throws the fan blades off balance causes the fan to vibrate and you get louder noises. That typically shows up on older systems as they either get dust built up on the fan blades or the bearing start to wear and wobble. We don't usually see that on new machines, but it is possible the fan itself was not good from the manufacturer. Replacing that would be under warranty, but it's such a rare occurrence they'd likely want to do a noise test to verify the sounds levels are above the 19-34 dBA shown on the chart.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • temporary2020
    temporary2020 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you for the info. My temperatures are generally in 35-50C idle or light load and I do not think I have ever seen anything over 60C. Part of the problem probably was windows indexing service, which went crazy. On the other hand just few minutes ago it started to rattle inside the fan. Now it stopped and the whine is almost gone... I will see. Now I can hear some static coming from speakers... Anyway I will wait because otherwise it seems to be a great computer for me.

Just a rant: It seems that I might have a bad luck with 2 in 1s. The first spin 5 I have bought have damaged keyboard out of the box this one actually might have faulty fan or something. When I bought spectre three years ago first had faulty fan, second faulty touchpad and the last one problem with digitizer and it died completely like 2 months before the end of the warranty...

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Well, obviously you are carrying bad karma from a previous life. You should start taking the computer with you to yoga, though stay away from hot yoga or else you'll get it mad again... :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.