CP713-2W-5874 Touchpad Stops Working

Options
wadejjet
wadejjet Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I recently purchased a Spin 713 (CP713-2W-5874) and shortly after the touchpad began occasionally freezing with the cursor intermittently disappearing as well. Sometimes I can resolve the problem by tapping on the touchpad quickly for 5-10 seconds. Other times I touch the screen to scroll and this seems to bring the touchpad back to life. This problem happens when browsing or typing emails and not utilizing any specific applications. I have reset the device to factory settings (powerwash) and the problem still happens each use. Occasionally I can leave my finger in one spot on the touchpad and the cursor jumps erratically around the page. 

I did not have an opportunity to use a demo model in store before purchasing, but the cursor travel seems off even when it is not frozen. I find it difficult to swipe the cursor intuitively across the touchpad and "land" where desired. 

Any help is appreciated!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options
    wadejjet said:
    I recently purchased a Spin 713 (CP713-2W-5874) and shortly after the touchpad began occasionally freezing with the cursor intermittently disappearing as well. Sometimes I can resolve the problem by tapping on the touchpad quickly for 5-10 seconds. Other times I touch the screen to scroll and this seems to bring the touchpad back to life. This problem happens when browsing or typing emails and not utilizing any specific applications. I have reset the device to factory settings (powerwash) and the problem still happens each use. Occasionally I can leave my finger in one spot on the touchpad and the cursor jumps erratically around the page. 

I did not have an opportunity to use a demo model in store before purchasing, but the cursor travel seems off even when it is not frozen. I find it difficult to swipe the cursor intuitively across the touchpad and "land" where desired. 

Any help is appreciated!

First, which Spin do you have? As your model number should be something like SP113-31 etc also, try to uninstall the “touchpad driver” (through control panel > uninstall program) completely and reinstall it again with the appropriate touch pad driver (have a look in device manager for your exact model and manufacturer) for your Spin’s model from the Acer site and see if that will help and solve this problem.  

• wadejjet

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:
    wadejjet said:

Any help is appreciated!

First, which Spin do you have? As your model number should be something like SP113-31 etc also, try to uninstall the “touchpad driver” (through control panel > uninstall program) completely and reinstall it again with the appropriate touch pad driver (have a look in device manager for your exact model and manufacturer) for your Spin’s model from the Acer site and see if that will help and solve this problem.  

My device is the recently released Chromebook, Spin 713. I have looked for an available driver on Acer's site but see none listed. 
  • wadejjet

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm beginning to believe the problem I'm having is probably a connector or other internal hardware issue. After using my computer for several hours at my desk yesterday with no issues, I picked it up and moved to a different chair, laid it on my lap and almost instantly, the unresponsiveness and frozen cursor showed up. I picked it up and laid it on a table and I had control of the cursor again. I was able to duplicate this a few times. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Can you cause it on the table by lifting one corner to try and flex the case? Try not to flex it too much, but if it's a mechanical problem you ought to be able to duplicate it that way.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • wadejjet

Tinkerer

Options
    Just tried and yes, not every time, but probably 7 out of 10 times, if I slightly flex a corner the cursor goes unresponsive. A few of these times I got it back "active" by tapping my fingers on the surface to the right of the touch pad. 

I'm assuming this is something that would require sending into Acer to resolve? I've had it for less than a month but longer than the return policy at Best Buy of course.  
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes I'm afraid so. Something is either loose where it shouldn't be or warped...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • simonkc19
    simonkc19 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi @wadejjet.  Did you manage to find a solution to this problem?  I purchased a CP713-2W in December for my son for Xmas (great timing giving the new lock-down)... however after just a couple of weeks worth of use we've got exactly the same problem as you described.  Thanks in advance.
  • wadejjet

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello @simonkc19. I unfortunately had to send the computer to Acer for repair. It eventually worsened to the point of not being able to use the touchpad at all. 

The repair process was smooth and took about 3 weeks to get it back and the touchpad was replaced. After repair it has worked perfectly. 

Good luck!