Spin 3 sp314-54-50JD Video/audio/digital art? Optane unsupported?

xxduffyxx
xxduffyxx Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I made another thread for answers on how to add more Ram(can't with this model) and was shown where to insert a m.2 pcl ssd. I did all that but was wondering what else I could upgrade. I have a question about Intel Optane (it's Preinstalled but won't load/says my model is unsupported) also it has the Wacom Feel sticker but I have no idea what software is used with it and the stylus that it comes with. 

I am wanting to Learn how to do photography and video editing for multi media beyond android/Chrome OS and vlogging and make use of the stylus/screen for making art.

Any suggestions on getting the most out of the machine. 
Software recommendations and it has a Wacom Feel sticker but no software to pair it with and it has Intel Optane installed but says is unsupported.

I put the windows OS back on the hardwired ssd to see if that would make a difference after I had cloned it to the 1 TB SSD m. 2 pcl I installed and then did the opposite so, the other SSD is set as just a storage drive.

Any artists have software suggestions and anyone know why I have pre-installed software that doesn't work (Intel Optane).
Thx in advance. 

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    So, there are lots of cloning apps around, and many will do the job well enough with their free versions. I think I used the AOMEI package on the last one I did, but it might have been Macrium or Minitool Partition Wizard. Once you have a good clone of the original 256GB drive on the 1TB we can go ahead and change the system around to boot from the bigger drive. You don't have Optane memory installed on your machine, Optane is only installed if you had a HDD instead of a SSD.
    The process used by almost all these different cloning apps is pretty much the same. You tell them which drive is the source (note I said drive, not partition or volume) and which drive is the destination (the new SSD, typically empty). It then looks at the source and enumerates the partitions. A typical drive these days has four partitions, a very small EFI partition, a larger Recovery partition that only holds recovery software, the biggest partition is the system partition, typically the C: drive, and finally another smaller partition (1GB to 15GB or so) that holds the original recovery image of the OS load. That last one is often not too useful because when MS updates Windows with one of the big semi-annual releases, it wipes that old one and doesn't put a system specific one in it's place. So, once the app knows about the partitions it creates blank ones on the new drive. If it's smart enough it creates the EFI, Recovery and Recovery Image partitions the same size as they were on the original drive. When it creates the new C: partition it may or may not expand it to the full size of space available on the new drive. Often this is actually a shrink because a lot of the time people are moving from a 1TB HDD to a 256GB SSD. When the partitions are created it then copies all the files over for each of the partitions. That gives you a new bootable drive that looks very much like the old one, with two OSes and all your data doubled. You then take out the original drive and put the new one in then boot on the new one. If everything is working correctly you then wipe the old drive and use it as extra storage.
    So it sounds like you may have already gone though the cloning process with the Acronis software. The next step is to verify you can boot with the 1TB drive in the M.2 slot and the 256GB disconnected. If that's the case you're sitting pretty! We just need to wipe the old drive and change it to a single data partition. If you can't boot from the 1TB with the 256GB disconnected then we'll step through trying to find out what's wrong.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    You made a pretty good choice with that model, the only real shortcoming is the inability to install more ram, but that's offset by the thin case you get by not having that socket on the MB. Somehow I thought the sp314-54-50JD SKU already had a SSD onboard, so wouldn't have Optane. Optane is used as a SSD cache for HDD transactions, giving performance a bit closer to SSD speed while still having the higher capacity/lower cost of a HDD. If your SKU came with a HDD and you added a SSD to the first M.2 slot you would have removed the Optane memory, since both the NVMe SSD and Optane memory use the same M.2 slot. If your SKU didn't come with a HDD you wouldn't have an Optane memory stick installed.
    It sounds like you've taken a pretty big step forward with your upgrade already. I'm working on the assumption that my specs are right and your machine came with a 256GB SSD and then you added a 1TB SSD? Video editing can be a bit resource intensive, so lots of storage is important. The next thing I'd be looking at are your video source (camera is much better than webcam) and audio source (good external mic is better than the builtin mic).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • xxduffyxx

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    You made a pretty good choice with that model, the only real shortcoming is the inability to install more ram, but that's offset by the thin case you get by not having that socket on the MB. Somehow I thought the sp314-54-50JD SKU already had a SSD onboard, so wouldn't have Optane. Optane is used as a SSD cache for HDD transactions, giving performance a bit closer to SSD speed while still having the higher capacity/lower cost of a HDD. If your SKU came with a HDD and you added a SSD to the first M.2 slot you would have removed the Optane memory, since both the NVMe SSD and Optane memory use the same M.2 slot. If your SKU didn't come with a HDD you wouldn't have an Optane memory stick installed.
    It sounds like you've taken a pretty big step forward with your upgrade already. I'm working on the assumption that my specs are right and your machine came with a 256GB SSD and then you added a 1TB SSD? Video editing can be a bit resource intensive, so lots of storage is important. The next thing I'd be looking at are your video source (camera is much better than webcam) and audio source (good external mic is better than the builtin mic).

OK I us Acronis software to clone my 256 SSD to the 1 TB. The software has limited functionality as the Crucial 1 TB should have came with a Registration code in the box.

The serial number of the m. 2 is not it and there is only a get started multi language simple guide that says go to the Crucial website and dl the Acronis software. Which I originally used to clone the HD. Now my computer had 2 drives, the BIOS only allows for internal boot and not from USB. The Intel Optane works on the hardwired NVMe Kingston Board and memory which cannot be altered.

I want to restore it to run off either the backup I made that needs tools that are supposed to be accessible but they want $40 USD for the full software and extra monitoring and back up.

Never use a drop of crazy glue in lew of a screw. 
    I was going to dismount the drive to get it to run off the original hardwired 
    SSD and then just add a drive not have two OS on both SSD cards which is causing issues.
    I know there must be software that deals with this. The Acronis True Image allows for making a resume media driver however until I can change the bios settings to boot from USB (only Windows 1,and Windows 2) as boot options.
    Both drives have Norton ultra security as a trial, came with it however when I try to do a windows restore it will not do it.

I think I have messed with the partition manager. But not sure if I can roll back what I did and just add the m.2 card as a storage drive as it is optimized for the original Ram and Kingston SSD. 

For some reason it will not accept my password from the windows recovery option for the email address I used to originally sign in . 

Is there another software program that does what Acronis does but doesn't change for the basic features and can restore from a back up, which requires me to change the BIOS to boot from USB. I don't know enough about efi and am far from proficient.

Like I dunno how I could remove the SSD I added without damaging. 
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    So, there are lots of cloning apps around, and many will do the job well enough with their free versions. I think I used the AOMEI package on the last one I did, but it might have been Macrium or Minitool Partition Wizard. Once you have a good clone of the original 256GB drive on the 1TB we can go ahead and change the system around to boot from the bigger drive. You don't have Optane memory installed on your machine, Optane is only installed if you had a HDD instead of a SSD.
    The process used by almost all these different cloning apps is pretty much the same. You tell them which drive is the source (note I said drive, not partition or volume) and which drive is the destination (the new SSD, typically empty). It then looks at the source and enumerates the partitions. A typical drive these days has four partitions, a very small EFI partition, a larger Recovery partition that only holds recovery software, the biggest partition is the system partition, typically the C: drive, and finally another smaller partition (1GB to 15GB or so) that holds the original recovery image of the OS load. That last one is often not too useful because when MS updates Windows with one of the big semi-annual releases, it wipes that old one and doesn't put a system specific one in it's place. So, once the app knows about the partitions it creates blank ones on the new drive. If it's smart enough it creates the EFI, Recovery and Recovery Image partitions the same size as they were on the original drive. When it creates the new C: partition it may or may not expand it to the full size of space available on the new drive. Often this is actually a shrink because a lot of the time people are moving from a 1TB HDD to a 256GB SSD. When the partitions are created it then copies all the files over for each of the partitions. That gives you a new bootable drive that looks very much like the old one, with two OSes and all your data doubled. You then take out the original drive and put the new one in then boot on the new one. If everything is working correctly you then wipe the old drive and use it as extra storage.
    So it sounds like you may have already gone though the cloning process with the Acronis software. The next step is to verify you can boot with the 1TB drive in the M.2 slot and the 256GB disconnected. If that's the case you're sitting pretty! We just need to wipe the old drive and change it to a single data partition. If you can't boot from the 1TB with the 256GB disconnected then we'll step through trying to find out what's wrong.
  • xxduffyxx

Tinkerer

billsey said:

I went with the Mini Partion Tool by EaseUS, I paid the $35 with promo codes which they will offer you after a few days. That includes full support, I had gotten it to the point where I just had to merge the trimmed Partion and was at a lose. Support remote desktop sorted it all out in like 15-20 minutes. 

So everything is sorted and I have back ups. Now it's time to decide on which art draw/paint app works best with the internal stylus, I, have a Bluetooth stylus too and older non smart stylus brushes.

My real use for this CPU is A/V recording and post production editing. 
  • billsey
    Great! I'm out of my depth when asking about which app is best for that. I use Paint.NET for image editing but don't really do anything with video and never use a stylus. :)