Spin513-54N Keyboard backlight stopped working

Options
Gruguir
Gruguir Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I just realized that the keyboard backlight isn't working anymore on my new Spin5. I've updated the bios (to 1.02, and then now 1.04) so maybe it could be an issue with the new bios?
I've checked the Window mobility center and the keyboard backlight option isn't there.

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Access the bios and then press f9 to restore it and then click save and shut down. Then, restart the battery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfhgnxUJoZo&list=FLVBqwtBw09_Z9tXo1Injakw&index=9&t=0s
    Try disabling this function:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Gruguir

Tinkerer

Options
    @egydiocoelho thanks for your advice but that didn't work for me :( I hope it's not hardware related. I'd like to avoid to restore the computer but I may have to do it. I wanted to try to restore the legacy bios to test but it is not available on the support page.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Do you have to press fn + f8?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Gruguir

Tinkerer

Options
    @egydiocoelho If I understand your question, keyboard backlight and others (volume etc.) are activated directly without holding the Fn key, Fn key is for typing the function keys (F1, F2..).
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I think not. But try to press fn + f8 and then try to press just the f8 key!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gruguir

Tinkerer

Options
    @egydiocoelho no, it doesn't work. I'm pretty confident I get that kind of misuse. It worked well before.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the keyboard light stay on when you access the bios? Can you send some pictures of the bios settings? Did the problem occur right after updating the bios to version 1.04? Have you tried to disassemble the notebook to check the backlit and keyboard connectors?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gruguir

Tinkerer

Options
    @egydiocoelho No, the light is always off, it never turns on. I guess that it should at least flash at startup. I do not know if it can be bios related (either this, or it's a hardware issue). There is nothing much to see in the bios, all versions look the same. I don't know when it stopped working. I don't want to open my new laptop, I may have to send it to warranty.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you provide the exact model? Example SP513-54N-595M
    Can you check if your keyboard has this icon?
    Does acer swift 3 sf314-54-33c7 have keyboard backlit  Acer

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gruguir

Tinkerer

edited August 2020
    Options
    @egydiocoelho Yes it has it, it's the SP513-54N-75Z7
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you upload a photo from your keyboard?
    Can you check if your keyboard has this icon?
    Does acer swift 3 sf314-54-33c7 have keyboard backlit  Acer

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gruguir

Tinkerer

Options
    Same issue with the latest bios 1.05.
    @egydiocoelho Yes sure the Backlight Media key is there, I already replied (I know you are trying to help :)).
    Anybody else with the issue (or having updated his bios without trouble)?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What happens when you just press the f8 key? Can you send some photos of the bios settings?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• temporary2020
    temporary2020 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    I am going to abuse this thread. I have exactly the same issue and nothing helps. F8 or fn+F8 do nothing as well as bios reset. The backlight is simply not there. It is off in Bios or in widows and won!t light up during boot. Have you got any solution?
  • Gruguir

Tinkerer

Options
    @temporary2020 I have not. I'm finally planning to open it one of these days to check connections. Have you done a bios update prior to the issue?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does the same problem occur when updating the bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• PeterKz
    PeterKz Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options
    I have the same problem after updating to BIOS v1.05. No keyboard backlight anywhere. Tried the battery reset option above but it did not work. This seems like a bad BIOS release by Acer.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    can you upload a photo from your keyboard?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Gruguir

Tinkerer

Options
    egydiocoelho please stop this is not helping
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    A picture of the keyboard is the easiest method to verify the keyboard is supposed to have a back light. Many models come in versions both with and without.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.