Predator Helios 300 PH315-52-54KC - XPG SX8200 Installed and only getting half read speeds

Options
Goodeman
Goodeman Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I just installed a 1TB XPG SX8200 expecting to get at least 3000mb/s read speeds (says up to 3500), but only getting 1500-1600mb/s in crystalmark. The built-in Samsung NVME is getting 2500 easy which makes me think something might be wrong. It's already on PCIe 4x accdg to HWInfo. I need help finding out whether I have to return it ASAP!

System: Predator Helios 300 PH315-52-54KC
CPU: i5-9300H
RAM: 20GB (4 + 16) 2666mhz
SSD: Samsung 256gb (decent)
HDD: Seagate 1tb (ST1000lm049-2gh172)
GPU: RTX 2060 (don't think this matters tho)

XPG SX8200 Speed:

Its details:

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Does this issue occur after updating the ssd firmware with adata's ssd tool box? http://www.adata.com/pt/ss/software-6/
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Goodeman

Tinkerer

Options
    I already tried using this software and all it does is go to ADATA product page when you click Update Firmware. You can't even manually look for the firmware itself because the whole website doesn't actually load at all.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    before attempting a firmware update, try this:
    a) first backup your files as a precaution!
    b) disable wireless and then uninstall the intel rapid storage and optane memory programs in "uninstall or change a program" and restart windows;
    c) then, press windows + r and type msconfig. Go to system startup and activate safeboot. Restart windows;
    d) then uninstall and delete that driver:

e) access the bios, go to the main tab, press ctrl + s and change the sata mode to ahci and then press f10 to save and exit.
    f) run the crystaldiskmark again
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Goodeman

Tinkerer

edited August 2020
    Options
    I get this warning when I try to uninstall the RST, is this okay?

Also, might it be better if I just remove the HDD installed instead to see if that works? I don't really have much use for a slow drive anyway.
  • Goodeman

Tinkerer

Options
    Update: I did this just now and if anything, it's actually slightly slower than last time. I even tried a "real-world" transfer of a 40gb folder and transfer speed showing up was maxing out at 500mb/s read. It does hit 900mb/s at times but that's more like a hiccup.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    This reading and writing speed is strange. Can you tell which slot you installed the ssd in?
    Ol acabei de adquirir um Preador Helios 300 PH315-52-748U e

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Goodeman

Tinkerer

Options
    It's on SSD1 slot which is empty upon purchase. The built in samsung one is on the SSD2 slot. Aren't both PCIe Gen 3 v4?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the samsung ssd model? What happens when you disconnect the samsung ssd and leave only the adata ssd installed?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Goodeman

Tinkerer

Options
    The built in is a Samsung mzvlb256bhq-00007 256gb drive. Unfortunately can't try to leave just the XPG since it's not my boot drive and have not even actually put anything on it.
  • Goodeman

Tinkerer

Options
    Aside from this, I guess a major question is this: If I buy a 970 evo plus m.2 (if I return this), is anything in the predator system itself going to stop it from reaching 3200mb/s read and write? It really seems like nothing is wrong with the laptop since this is actually just 1 month old. I guess this also isolates the XPG as defective.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    I'm not sure if it is a problem in ssd xpg. Try a 32GB test:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Goodeman said:
    Update: I did this just now and if anything, it's actually slightly slower than last time. I even tried a "real-world" transfer of a 40gb folder and transfer speed showing up was maxing out at 500mb/s read. It does hit 900mb/s at times but that's more like a hiccup.
    What kind of data is this 40GB? Keep in mind, smaller files are slower to copy compared to larger files.
    Also... what is the port speed to which this SSD is connected to. Does it support the speeds you are expecting from the connected SSD.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited August 2020
    Options
    The ph315-52 model has two m2 2280 gen3x4 doors. Test the 32gb and check if the transfer rate remains. I still think the sata controller driver may be interfering with the speed of the ssd.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Goodeman

Tinkerer

Options
    I've done the steps before again so that I could get screenshots that it is still the same regardless of the SATA controller. In BIOS, AHCI was chosen:

I also reached out to Adata Taiwan earlier and they said that this drive should get at least close to rated speeds out of the box as long as it's on a gen3 x4 slot.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Try this procedure:
    a) press windows + r and type msconfig. Then go to system boot and activate safe boot. Restart windows;
    b) then, access the bios, go to the main tab, press ctrl + s and change the sata mode to ahci and press f10
    Check that the read and write rate still remains. If it remains, open the adata ssd tool box program and update the ssd firmware.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Goodeman

Tinkerer

Options
    Hello! Yes, the screenshots were from safeboot and I did mention before that sata mode was already in AHCI. Adata Taiwan confirmed that the drive was on the latest firmware out of the box and and should be close to rated speeds (at least 3000 mb/s) in my setup without changing anything. 

Local supplier also confirmed that this is eligible for RMA and thankfully, is still within store warranty so I simply returned the item and bought a new one from a more reputable store.

***Just a reminder though if anyone else has this problem or tries this fix***
     My laptop actually got its Windows 10 installation broken from doing this repeatedly, which was frustrating. It seems that this method borked some drivers so I had to re-install windows 10 and get all the drivers back. Not that of a big thing for me because I'm used to re-installing when it seems like windows is getting slow because of so many apps installing different drivers. Albeit, still frustrating since this is a new laptop. This is just for anyone who wants to keep their machine vanilla until the end of warranty.

***My suggestion***
    Based on my conversations with several customer support from Adata and its suppliers, it seems like XPG's have more tolerance for slightly under-performing drives from factory QA. So if you're sure you are in a compatible slot (PCIe gen3 x4), just go ahead and return/exchange/RMA the thing because they know this happens. Saves you time and headache.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the model of the other ssd you purchased? can post a screenshot taking the performance test with crystaldiskmark again?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Goodeman

Tinkerer

Options
    The other drive is the one that came with the laptop. It's a Samsung mzvlb256bhq-00007 256gb drive. It looks to be Samsung's PM981 256gb. In crystaldiskmark, it reaches 2500 mb/s read and write all the time on the default bench test, even if I transferred it over to the other slot. Unfortunately, I can't provide more screenshots from the XPG because I already sent it back to the store.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you already chosen which model to choose to replace XPG? I would choose the samsung 970 evo.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Goodeman well the only advice i can think of here is this those high speed nvme drives were designed more for custom desktop builds even if a laptop has a nvme slot doesnt mean it will support the full speeds of the X or Y drive for ex 2 slots may well be shared and not dedicated theres no way to know exactly this is just all a supposition nothing else also your ram its not working in dual channel either you should either have 16gb 2x8 or 32 2x16  u should never mix sodimms different size/clock/CL

For ex this is what i have on my aspire 5 with the intel p600

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/