My Acer Aspire V3-772G Bluescreens all the time, I've tried basically all I can think of

PhoenixBMeadows
PhoenixBMeadows Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 18 in 2020 Archives

So, ever since I got the laptop it hasn't been the most stable, something went wrong when it was upgraded from windows 8 to 10. However, when I reinstalled windows, I assumed that would fix it, boy was I wrong.

For the past several months I've been getting lots of bluescreens, sometimes I can get them to stop for several weeks (sometimes being the key word) by reinstalling my intel graphics driver, and then they just come back. Originally I thought the issue was because for some reason my Acer was refusing to update the intel driver off an old 2015 driver, however eventually I was able to make it, and things have not improved enough to be considered stable (not to mention a few updates ago I lost the ability to control brightness on my screen, and my art tablet now doesn't detect its in extend mode even though it is, which means I'm locked out of settings)

However as annoying as no brightness controls are and not being able to tweak the colors on my display the BSOD are way worse. I've been getting them almost daily (or several times a day) this weeks and I've tried everything I can think of and googled everything I can think of, and the only thing left I haven't tried is driver Verifier because it seems.... sketchy is the wrong word, but with my luck my laptop would simply never turn on again, honestly. I'm fairly sure the issue is a driver that's broken, or needs to be run in compatibility mode or something, but I have no idea which driver.

I don't know how to read crash dumps beyond what a program I have tells me from them, so if somebody could help me out that would be amazing, I am wildly frustrated at this point, but I can't afford a new laptop.

These are the most frequent errors, I always get both, or almost always I'd have to double check for certain (as copied from WhoCrashed)

On Thu 7/30/2020 4:39:30 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\073020-6734-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3DDB60)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFF8078338BF70, 0xFF, 0x0, 0xFFFFF804266CE7BA)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8179)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time. 

And here's some basic info on my laptop:

Computer name: DESKTOP-UJGA89V
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 19041
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: Aspire V3-772G, Acer, VA70_HW
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4702MQ CPU @ 2.20GHz Intel8664, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 12759445504 bytes (11.9GB)

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020

So, ever since I got the laptop it hasn't been the most stable, something went wrong when it was upgraded from windows 8 to 10. However, when I reinstalled windows, I assumed that would fix it, boy was I wrong.

For the past several months I've been getting lots of bluescreens, sometimes I can get them to stop for several weeks (sometimes being the key word) by reinstalling my intel graphics driver, and then they just come back. Originally I thought the issue was because for some reason my Acer was refusing to update the intel driver off an old 2015 driver, however eventually I was able to make it, and things have not improved enough to be considered stable (not to mention a few updates ago I lost the ability to control brightness on my screen, and my art tablet now doesn't detect its in extend mode even though it is, which means I'm locked out of settings)

However as annoying as no brightness controls are and not being able to tweak the colors on my display the BSOD are way worse. I've been getting them almost daily (or several times a day) this weeks and I've tried everything I can think of and googled everything I can think of, and the only thing left I haven't tried is driver Verifier because it seems.... sketchy is the wrong word, but with my luck my laptop would simply never turn on again, honestly. I'm fairly sure the issue is a driver that's broken, or needs to be run in compatibility mode or something, but I have no idea which driver.

I don't know how to read crash dumps beyond what a program I have tells me from them, so if somebody could help me out that would be amazing, I am wildly frustrated at this point, but I can't afford a new laptop.

These are the most frequent errors, I always get both, or almost always I'd have to double check for certain (as copied from WhoCrashed)

This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8179)

PhoenixBMeadows, the Aspire V3’s are probably the most reliable old laptops around, if they are setup correctly and all components are working properly. Yes, they do overheat but that can be solved. Can you please give us the specs of your laptop e.g. CPU, HDD or SSD and RAM capacity that you are running as the “G” models also come with a dedicated NVIDIA graphics and the drivers need to be updated as do all other drivers do.

Note: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is one of the Stop errors and often companied with blue screen. When the error occurs, then it means there is something wrong with your drivers, the Windows Service becomes bad because of antivirus software or other causes.

I’ve been using an Aspire V3-571G for years but, I’ve update both the RAM to 2x sticks of 4Gb DDR3L-18666 MHz (btw, your V3 takes max 32GB DDR3L-1600 and will take the DDR3L-1866 MHz SODIMM and has 2x slots for RAM and came with OEM 8GB removable, maybe update the RAM to more capacity like 16GB) and check if any hardware is not faulty and causing these BSOD's? I've also swapped the OEM spinner HDD to a Samsung EVO-850 SSD and originally had the Win-10 Pro on the OEM spinner HDD then cloned the Win-10 Pro operating system onto the Samsung with their excellent “Data Migration” software from Win-8.1 to Win-10 Pro year ago. 

But and most important I did a “Clean Install” of Win-10 originally from Win-8.1 as that could be your problem as you might have just upgrade from Win-8.1 and you must have allot of corrupt leftover files from Win-8.1 or either your HDD or RAM is faulty hence and that is why you are getting DSOD's like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

As I said, I’ve been running Win-10 Pro and all the updates and version upgrades on this V3-571G for years (4 years) without any BSODs or problems and now I’m running the latest Win-10 Pro version 2004 OS build 19041.388 that work 100% and very fast on this laptop.
  • PhoenixBMeadows
    StevenGen said:

PhoenixBMeadows, the Aspire V3’s are probably the most reliable old laptops around, if they are setup correctly and all components are working properly. yES, THEY DO OVERHEAT BUT THAT CAN BE SOLVED. Can you please please give us the specs of your laptop e.g. CPU, HDD or SSD and RAM capacity as the “G” models also come with a dedicated NVIDIA graphics and the drivers need to be updated as do all other drivers do.

I’ve been using a V3-571G for years but, I’ve update both the ram to 2x sticks of the DDR3L-18666 MHz ram and have put a Samsung EVO-850 SSD and cloned the operating system with their excellent “Data Migration” software from Win-8.1 to Win-10 Pro year ago but and most important I did a “Clean Install” of Win-10 as that could be your problem as you might have just upgrade from Win-8.1 and you must have allot of corrupt leftover files from Win-8.1.

As I said, I’ve been running Win-10 Pro and all the updates and version upgrades on this V3-571G for years (4 years) without any BSODs or problems and now I’m running the latest Win-10 Pro version 2004 OS build 19041.388 that work 100% and very fast on this laptop.
    When it works I genuinely love this computer and it's so fast, I have no idea what's up with it (though hearing they still work is encouraging, maybe I just can't find messed up drivers)

This should be all my specs, I ran a scan off the intel site so I could throw them into a pdf https://1drv.ms/b/s!AqacM330u1pFhnpvqLYKEFxQj-za?e=AwQotg

It wasn't carried over with a clean install if windows (this used to be a friends computer and she updated it), however after I got it I clean installed as very very best as I can remember, because I chose the option that formatted my c drive so it would be fully clean.

I have a van that sucks the air out of the port and keeps the computer really cool, so I doubt it's a heating issue, but possibly I guess? If the thermal paste is worn out or something

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    edited July 2020
    StevenGen said:

PhoenixBMeadows, the Aspire V3’s are probably the most reliable old laptops around, if they are setup correctly and all components are working properly. yES, THEY DO OVERHEAT BUT THAT CAN BE SOLVED. Can you please please give us the specs of your laptop e.g. CPU, HDD or SSD and RAM capacity as the “G” models also come with a dedicated NVIDIA graphics and the drivers need to be updated as do all other drivers do.

I’ve been using a V3-571G for years but, I’ve update both the ram to 2x sticks of the DDR3L-18666 MHz ram and have put a Samsung EVO-850 SSD and cloned the operating system with their excellent “Data Migration” software from Win-8.1 to Win-10 Pro year ago but and most important I did a “Clean Install” of Win-10 as that could be your problem as you might have just upgrade from Win-8.1 and you must have allot of corrupt leftover files from Win-8.1.

When it works I genuinely love this computer and it's so fast, I have no idea what's up with it (though hearing they still work is encouraging, maybe I just can't find messed up drivers)

This should be all my specs, I ran a scan off the intel site so I could throw them into a pdf https://1drv.ms/b/s!AqacM330u1pFhnpvqLYKEFxQj-za?e=AwQotg

It wasn't carried over with a clean install if windows (this used to be a friends computer and she updated it), however after I got it I clean installed as very very best as I can remember, because I chose the option that formatted my c drive so it would be fully clean.

I have a van that sucks the air out of the port and keeps the computer really cool, so I doubt it's a heating issue, but possibly I guess? If the thermal paste is worn out or something

Looking at your V3’s specs it’s more likely that your hardware is either faulty e.g. ram, spinner WD HDD or the Toshiba mSATA SSD that could be causing all these IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. DSPD’s.

I would get a new 1TB 2.5 SSD and do a “Clean Install” on this new drive (get a reputable manufacturers SSD e.g. Samsung (like I have) as I’m sure that you have the bootable Win-10 OP on the WD 1TB spinner HDD and that could be failing and causing allsorts of errors and causing all your problems.

You also have a 128GB Toshiba mSATA SSD which could also be causing errors and BSOD’s. Download this software SSD Benchmark 2.0.7316.34247 to check your 128GB Toshiba mSATA SSD health and speed from here: Download@Authors Site and see? Or better still take the 128GB Toshiba mSATA SSD out and boot the laptop without it and see if you get any errors? 

These fixes are all up to you, as you can have a look at your “Disk Manager” in Win-10 and see which drive has the bootable Win-10 and decide that way but remember,. that you need an SSD these days to have Win-10 operating efficiently and as an operating bootable drive to keep up with its speed.

• PhoenixBMeadows
    I have no idea what the actual results mean, but this is what I got for the ssd https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqacM330u1pFhnsleLUNesr3goTm?e=uWc8ez which has windows on it. I might try putting windows onto the hard drive and see if, even though it will be slow, if there's no crashing so I know if the c drive is bad maybe? I think it should still boot on a hard drive, just be pretty slow. The ssd is the original as far as I know, so it totally could be bad and just didn't flag window's not very good tests.

Also thank you for the help, I'm going to look into how hard it is to take this laptop apart again to change the ssd to a newer one. Worst case I have a new ssd for the desktop I want to build eventually
  • PhoenixBMeadows
    StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:

Looking at your V3’s specs it’s more likely that your hardware is either faulty e.g. ram, spinner WD HDD or the Toshiba mSATA SSD that could be causing all these IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. DSPD’s.

I would get a new 1TB 2.5 SSD and do a “Clean Install” on this new drive (get a reputable manufacturers SSD e.g. Samsung (like I have) as I’m sure that you have the bootable Win-10 OP on the WD 1TB spinner HDD and that could be failing and causing allsorts of errors and causing all your problems.

You also have a 128GB Toshiba mSATA SSD which could also be causing errors and BSOD’s. Download this software SSD Benchmark 2.0.7316.34247 to check your 128GB Toshiba mSATA SSD health and speed from here: Download@Authors Site and see? Or better still take the 128GB Toshiba mSATA SSD out and boot the laptop without it and see if you get any errors? 

These fixes are all up to you, as you can have a look at your “Disk Manager” in Win-10 and see which drive has the bootable Win-10 and decide that way but remember,. that you need an SSD these days to have Win-10 operating efficiently and as an operating bootable drive to keep up with its speed.

StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:

I forgot to loop you into my last reply i think, woops. Also thank you for the help