pulsing/flickering screen - SF514-52T-59ZU

Faldekan
Faldekan Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all,

I've had my swift 5 for a couple of years and love it. However, the past few days the screen started to flicker intermittently with a steady pulse (see below - difficult to show in pics, but it flickers for 2 seconds then is clear for 2 seconds, rinse and repeat!), which I could initially remedy by shifting the angle of the screen a little one way or the other. However, it is now pretty much constant and I can only rarely find the "sweet spot" where the angle of the screen stops the pulsing/flickering. Would a simple screen replacement be the cure? I don't want to fork out for a new screen if it turns out it is a software issue, but the fact I could solve it before with a move of the screen suggests something more mechanical to me - ie. a weak connection/cable somewhere?

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated!

Tom.

Serial number - NXGTMEK002821082D06600
SNID - 82103348866

Answers

• dancemonkeymadness
    dancemonkeymadness Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    You don't need to replace the screen but you do need to replace the ribbon cable connecting the screen to the rest of the hardware from the sounds of it. The ribbon cable can sometimes start getting worn out and broken from being folded and unfolded so much in the hinge of the laptop. When that happens, it produces the same exact symptoms as you described (flickering display or artifacts which go away when you get it "bent a certain way"). The problem degrades over time because the cable gets more worn out, so after a while no matter what you do you won't be able to get the screen issues to stop. 

I have SF315. I haven't seen the way it's connected yet but I can tell just by the design it doesn't give a lot of wiggle room for that cable, and it's a likely weak point in the design (though I really appreciate the exhaust placement being somewhere that isn't likely to be blocked just by using the laptop). I wouldn't attempt repairing it myself at this point, though, since it's still under warranty and they can really tell when you mess with an ultrabooks hardware.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    I agree with DMM here, though it's likely not actually a ribbon cable. The cable flexes each time you move the screen and over time the conductors get hairline cracks. When it gets bad enough the display can fail entirely. The cable is called an eDP cable and for your model the part number is 50.GTMN1.005. Do some searching on that number and you should find some sources for it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.