SW5-017P Windows 10 rotation lock disabled

jaswitchv102020
jaswitchv102020 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I just reformated and installed a fresh copy of windows 10 on my race switch sw5-017p. I went to the acer support page and downloaded all the drivers and installed them. Everything is working accept that the display location lock is disabled. I have uninstalled the display driver, restarted, updated but still nothing. I just stays disabled. So when I undock the display to put into tablet mode I can only use it in one direction or else manually rotate the display. Anyone know how to fix this?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    I believe it's the platform drivers package that has the accelerometer drivers included. Does Device Manager show any warnings?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jaswitchv102020

Tinkerer

The only warning on the Device Manager is Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #3. I did run the setup file for Platform Drivers_Intel_20.19.15.4364_W10x64.

Strange. When I run it just now again it says that it is installing Intel x64 CherryTrail-T Driver Package.

When I try to run the setup file it gives an error message and exits out. 

I tried first running it from the compressed file and this kept of not working. Now I am extracting all 445 files from the compressed file to see if that makes a difference. 

Same outcome. Error message (he requested operation failed. a system reboot is required to roll back changes made. Click here to open a log file location.
  • billsey
    Open the log file and lets try and look at it to figure out what it's complaining about.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jaswitchv102020

Tinkerer

It's a pretty big file. Are you asking that I paste it here or is there a section that you are looking for?
  • billsey
    Zip it and use attach file, that should be small enough...
  • jaswitchv102020

Tinkerer

File attached. Thank you for helping me Billsey.
  • billsey
    edited August 2020
    OK, at first glance it look like there may be permission issues when trying to install the driver package. Either problems writing to the registry or problems writing the drives themselves. Start with the folder you extracted, right click on Setup.exe and select Run as Administrator to see if that makes any difference.
    Although maybe it's trying to read from the zip file itself... When you extracted the zip, did you put the files into a folder in Downloads, on the Desktop or somewhere else?
  • jaswitchv102020

Tinkerer

I did try both. I unzipped the folder and ran it as Admin. Same message. I can try again though. Maybe I was doing something wrong. I'll write back with how it goes. Running the setup.exe from the unzipped folder in admin mode.
  • jaswitchv102020

Tinkerer

Any other suggestions that you can give me on how to fix this? Is there any security issue with me leaving this error log file here? not sure if this shows any private information that I should delete it.
  • billsey
    No, the info in that log file is all pretty generic to the driver package, nothing identifiable that's specific to you. Try uninstalling those drivers and then try the installer again.
  • jaswitchv102020

Tinkerer

Quick update. The latest windows update seemed to have fixed the problem. Now the when in tablet mode the screen auto rotates when I change the position of the screen. Finally!!! 
  • jaswitchv102020

Tinkerer

Adding my experience here too.  I updated my Switch to Windows 8 as it's an older system. Waste of time. So many things didn't work. I installed Windows 10 and needed to install ALL the updates to windows 10.  Everything finally worked. What didn't work before Sound, Screen rotation, Wifi now is working. I did need to install the drivers for the wifi first. Once I installed this I started running Windows Update. Over and over.  Hours later the Switch is working. I am now creating a System Image on a USB drive large enough to save it. I have one 256 Gigs. This will save me a lot of time the next time I want to write and restart the system to a clean working format. 

So as Jaswitchv said above. the latest windows update did fix the problem. Thank you MSFT engineers.